ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753865 Members
7752 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Cannot Install Windows Server OS on HP DL180 G10 Server via Intelligent Provisioning

SOLVED
Go to solution
Yosef17
Collector

Cannot Install Windows Server OS on HP DL180 G10 Server via Intelligent Provisioning

I have a HPE DL180 G10 server with 5x SATA HDD in RAID 5 configuration. After several attempts I have am unable to install Windows server 2016 & 2019 operating system via Intelligent Provisioning.

IP takes me to the USB directory listing and I can see the OS ISO file, however when I select it the server briefly shows "Verifying Media Source..." and nothing else happens.

Kindly assist.

8 REPLIES 8
sbhat09
HPE Pro

Re: Cannot Install Windows Server OS on HP DL180 G10 Server via Intelligent Provisioning

Hello @Yosef17,

Hope you are doing well.

Please check if this HPE article link helps you to proceed with OS installation - https://techlibrary.hpe.com/docs/enterprise/servers/icsp/7.5.1/webhelp/content/s_osdOSBP.html#s_ts_windows_bp_altair

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

Yosef17
Collector

Hello  sbhat09 

Thanks for stopping by.  The link you shared contains plenty information, none of it particularly addresses my issues.  I saw a suggestion to disable VID however there is no option to disable VID in my BIOS settings.

My ROM version is 2.04 (04/18/2019).

Please assist further.

Yosef17
Collector

Hi Srinivas,

issue persists. I have updated Intelligent Provisioning yet issue persists. Please assist.

AmRa
HPE Pro

May I know where is OS ISO image stored, is it on USB or mount to iLO virtual media.
Have you tried by mounting OS ISO image to iLO virtual media and installing OS through intelligent provisioning.
If yes, what is the error you are getting while installing OS through intelligent provisioning and mounting OS ISO image to iLO virtual media.

I am an HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo
Yosef17
Collector

Hi AmRa,

I have tried both options with the ISO is stored in USB. I can see it in th USB directory liasting via Intelligent Porvisioning. However when I try to select it nothing happens. I cannot progress with installing.

When I mount it via vitual media via iLO (browser based) I reach a stage where I am informed that installation cannot continue.

This is really frustrating. Are HP servers this difficult? Advise what I need to do next. I have deadline to get this server up and running! 

AmRa
HPE Pro

I would suggest please raise HPE support ticket with HPE technical support team, So that remote support engineer can take remote session and assist you accordingly.

Or you can do OS installation directly through OS media and later deploy SPP to install latest drivre, firmware and HPE software.

I am an HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo
Yosef17
Collector
Solution

Issue has been resolved!

Thanks all for your suggestions and efforts.

I did not have an OS media. However, I stumbled on this site https://www.projectflakes.com/2021/03/installing-windows-server-on-hp.html. I followed the instructions and created a bootable USB with the server 2016 OS. Changed boot options so the server booted from USB then proceeded like I would on a PC.

I downlaoded the storage array drivers and loaded it when Windows set up requested. Everything else went fine. Upon completion I noticed the network card wasn't showing up in Control Panel. Fixed this by downloading HPE Intel i40eb network drivers.

HP could do away with these needless stress though.

GregBarrBCI
Occasional Visitor

We've got several new HPE servers coming through recently. I ran into inability to get Intelligent Provisioning to verify media source several servers ago and at that time, my solution was to update Intelligent Provisioning to v3.88 and I started doing that for all servers after that. All was well for a few servers. This week, I've got a ML110 Gen 10 that is doing the same in Intelligent Provisioning v3.88 and I even tried downgrading to v3.86 with no change. We primarily try to install from ISO on SMB share and I've tried mounting the same ISO as virtual media, but Intelligent Provisioning only shows Verifying source media for some time, then goes back to selection screen with no feedback.

For this particular server, I've given up on Intelligent Provisioning and I'm trying to install by booting directly to Windows Server 2022 ISO mounted as virtual media. Intelligent Provisioning is supposed to make the process easier, but it is intermittently really frustrating.