ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753307 Members
6627 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Cannot Install Windows on HPE 32GB SD Card - Install only supported on EFI boot

SOLVED
Go to solution
Waltmani
Occasional Advisor

Cannot Install Windows on HPE 32GB SD Card - Install only supported on EFI boot

The docs, web, etc, state that I should be able to install Windows on the HPE SD Card, but when I get to that point in the Intelligent Provisioning 2.5 UI it states that the SD Card is only supported in EFI boot mode.   The BIOS has been updated to P70 07/01/2015, the iLO firmware is at 2.50 Sep 23 2016 and the Intelligent Provisioning is at 2.5.   I cannot find anywhere in the BIOS to change the boot from legacy to EUFI.   I've searched the web but many articles tell me that there is no EUFI boot option in a DL 380 Gen8?  If this is true then I've wasted the money on the HPE SD Card and need to get another boot target.  Really annoying and costly.

I've read the HP docs in using the HPE SD Card but they mention nothing about the EFI requirement.  

9 REPLIES 9
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: Cannot Install Windows on HPE 32GB SD Card - Install only supported on EFI boot

Are you working with a Gen8 server or a Gen9 server? Some of you comments are conflicting. UEFI was first introduced with Gen9. Intelligent Provisioning versions are 1.xx and 2.xx. 1.xx versions of IP are Gen8 and 2.xx versions of IP are Gen9

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Waltmani
Occasional Advisor

I'm working with a Gen 8 server.   Intelligent provisioning is ver 2.5.   Should I roll it back to 1.5?

Waltmani
Occasional Advisor

Update:  I downloaded and applied the Intelligent Provisioning ver 1.63 for Gen8 DL380p servers.  NOW the install allows me to select the SD Card as an install device.  But it does not support Micsoroft Hyper-V Server 1026?!?  

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

>> But it does not support Micsoroft Hyper-V Server 1026?!? 

1026?

;-)

IP is probably older than 2016 - a new version should be there soon (IP 1.64).

I guess 2012 should work too?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

v1.63 was released before 2016 was available.  You should be able to install 2016 without using IP. Afterr the installation you may need to run the SPP to provide some updated drivers

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Waltmani
Occasional Advisor

Sadly Windows 2016 will not install on the 32GB SD Card even without using IP.    The Windows installer tells me that it cannot install on a disk "connected through a USB or IEEE 1394 port."?   Next, I'll try Windows server 2012 R2, although I really wanted the new features in Server 2016.   Otherwise the SD Card is totally pointless and a waste of money.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Google points to many tutorials like this for example

https://www.danielstechblog.info/how-to-deploy-windows-server-2016-tp3-onto-an-sd-card/

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Waltmani
Occasional Advisor

Interesting!  I have not thought of that as an install method.   Tomorrow morning I have a mission..Install Windows Server 2016 on the SD Card.    I almost gave up and was about to bite the bullet and install on the RAID partion.  

Thank you for the info.   Although I'm not sure why HPE wouldn't have updated the BIOS for the DL380 Gen8 to make this easier?   I updated the BIOS to the most recent version , which according to HPE, supports Windows 2016.   

I'll update this post with the results in a few days.  Thanks again.

didwah

Hey There, Did you end up being able to install Windows 2016 to the SD card at all? 

I have a ML110 Gen9 and I am trying to also install Windows 2016 to the SD card but to no avail.

Cheers

Peter