Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot POST, rebooting at 10% during CPU initialization, Code 0168 and/or 4048

mr_yellow
Occasional Visitor

Cannot POST, rebooting at 10% during CPU initialization, Code 0168 and/or 4048

Hi Everyone,

I have a <1 year old ML310e Gen8 v2 server and it recently decided fail to POST after I tried to reboot the server.  

It turns on for ~5 seconds, where I can see it's still only at 10% of the POST, doing CPU initialization.  The Code at the bottom right of the screen reports 0168.  As far as I can tell, any 1xx code is a motherboard related issue but i can't find anything specifical to 0168.  

the iLO session Code that gets reported is 4048.

I've pull the power, done a cold boot, no difference.

The server is outiftted with 3x 8GB Crucial RAM on top of the 4GB stock RAM and it also has a PCIe X2 SATA controller.  All these parts were working fine for many months already...  I'm going to pull the parts and retest to see if it help but I suspect it won't.  

Anyone have any idea what could be the issue?

Thanks, 

5 REPLIES
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: Cannot POST, rebooting at 10% during CPU initialization, Code 0168 and/or 4048

I'd attempt what you're planning on doing, get the system back to a basic level and see if it will boot, or at least finish POST. next I would turn on maintenance switch 6 and reset CMOS/NVRAM

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
mr_yellow
Occasional Visitor

Re: Cannot POST, rebooting at 10% during CPU initialization, Code 0168 and/or 4048

Thanks Jimmy,  I've pulled all non-stock hardware and it still bootloops during POST.

Can you explain how to reset the CMOS/NVRAM in more detail?  I have HP Support scheduling a technician to come replace the Motherboard which seems extreme.  Apparently, there were some temperature sensor faults in the AHS logs for PCI Slot 4 Zone.   Dunno if I'm just extremely lucky or this is a known issue.   Would love to see if the CMOS reset helps at all...

Nevermind,  Found the manual describing the maintenance switches under pci slot 4.   will flip #6 to on to clear the CMOS/NVRAM.  Do I leave it flipped on for the next boot or do I flip it back to off before the next boot?

Also, are there any downsides to doing the CMOS reset prior to the Tech visit?

Thanks

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

flip switch 6 on, power up the system, after a few moments, you should see a message that CMOS/NVRAM has been reset or cleared, power system off, flip  switch 6 back to the off posisiton, boot as normal

mr_yellow
Occasional Visitor

Hmmm...  flipping switch 6 doesn't make a difference.  the system still reboots during the post before the CMOS reset happens.  

=(

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

mr_yellow wrote:

Hmmm...  flipping switch 6 doesn't make a difference.  the system still reboots during the post before the CMOS reset happens.  

=(

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

If you haven't, please open a support ticket