1752286 Members
5105 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Cannot USE The SATA DVD Drive to HP ProLiant DL165 G7 Opteron 6172 Server

Reuben Gathright

Cannot USE The SATA DVD Drive to HP ProLiant DL165 G7 Opteron 6172 Server

How can we power up the SATA DVD Drive?

At this point in time, you may experience some severe problems trying to get a DVD drive operating with the new HP ProLiant G7 AMD Opteron Server. The power supply and DVD Drive cabling are not compatible.

Timeline Of Support Issue:
8/20/2010 - We initiated an HP support call and we promised an onsite technician to look at the problem, the next business day.

8/27/2010 ├в No one arrived from HP Support. HP sent us an email claiming that the power connector is in the power supply and told us to read page 39 of the manual. No manual or reference to one was sent to us on the trouble ticket. I reviewed the documentation for the server (HP ProLiant DL165 G7 Server Maintenance and Service Guide posted on Aug. 4 2010) and it showed an IDE CD-ROM drive installation which was not possible for this server.

Power supply that came with the server is the:
HP Power Backplane
Model: AC-063-3 A
REV: 03F

SATA DVD Drive Is the:
DV-18S
Part No: 1977217A-42

DVD to SATA/Power Connection Cable (has a blue SATA lead and a black power lead ending in a four pin female power connector):
484355-006
REV F
AX 0/1MAR/10

Attached is a photo of the end on the cable.
4 REPLIES 4
Reuben Gathright

Still have received no support for this problem with adding a DVD Drive to the new 24 core Opteron AMD server from HP.

Is this is a sign of the support we can expect for this product?

Should we just return this to CDW and ask for our money back, now?
Reuben Gathright

We have contacted CDW and are making preparations to return this HP Server because the SATA DVD Drive has no power connector.

I appreciate all the help you have offered me.
Reuben Gathright

bump
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

hello,
I am afraid you have to solve your issue directly with HP support, this is user forum (read by HP)...

Jan