ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752750 Members
4890 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Cannot configure ML10v2/B120i via ACU or SSA, Help please!

SOLVED
Go to solution
AftabAhmad
Occasional Visitor

Cannot configure ML10v2/B120i via ACU or SSA, Help please!

Hello all

I'm almost bald from pulling my hair out for the last few hours.

Almost identical to this post from 2015 https://community.hpe.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/Can-t-configure-RAID-on-ML10-v2-B120i-controller/td-p/6755096#.XfGIq5P7TOR when booting my ML10 v2 and pressing F5, I get a confirmation that F5 has been pressed and the ACU will lbegin to load. However instead of loading, it just continues to boot from the controller in to an old version of 2008 R2. I want to be able to trash the array and start from scratch.

After reading the linked post, I have tried all means of getting to the config utility. I have downloaded multiple versions of SSA and burning them to USB using the HP USB Key Tool v2, v3 and even Rufus. Every time it completes successfully but the server just doesn't want to boot to it, skips past it like there is nothing to boot then boots the controller in to the old Windows install.

I then also tried to update the firmware using the online tool and the flash-key tool. The online tool (while logged in to 2008 R2 just installs but goes know where, can't find it in program files or any other folder on the server. The USB boot way also just doesn't want to boot.

I can confirm USB boot is working because my Windows server 2019 USB works (made with Rufus and set to BIOS/UEFI non CSM) and I'm able to load the set up, load the B120i drivers and install on to the array.

However, my end goal is to install Server2019 on to the SSD (SATA connected) and have the old array (SAS) as my data volume. However to do this I have read that I need to create a new RAID0 volume in the array for the single SSD and to make it the primary boot device. Since I can't get in the ACU or SSA I'm really stuck.

I'm really hoping someone can help me with this as I've wasted many hours today just watching the server boot over and over.

If you need more information, please let me know.

Thank you all in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: Cannot configure ML10v2/B120i via ACU or SSA, Help please!

@AftabAhmad wrote:

Hello all

I'm almost bald from pulling my hair out for the last few hours.

Almost identical to this post from 2015 https://community.hpe.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/Can-t-configure-RAID-on-ML10-v2-B120i-controller/td-p/6755096#.XfGIq5P7TOR when booting my ML10 v2 and pressing F5, I get a confirmation that F5 has been pressed and the ACU will lbegin to load. However instead of loading, it just continues to boot from the controller in to an old version of 2008 R2. I want to be able to trash the array and start from scratch.

After reading the linked post, I have tried all means of getting to the config utility. I have downloaded multiple versions of SSA and burning them to USB using the HP USB Key Tool v2, v3 and even Rufus. Every time it completes successfully but the server just doesn't want to boot to it, skips past it like there is nothing to boot then boots the controller in to the old Windows install.

I then also tried to update the firmware using the online tool and the flash-key tool. The online tool (while logged in to 2008 R2 just installs but goes know where, can't find it in program files or any other folder on the server. The USB boot way also just doesn't want to boot.

I can confirm USB boot is working because my Windows server 2019 USB works (made with Rufus and set to BIOS/UEFI non CSM) and I'm able to load the set up, load the B120i drivers and install on to the array.

However, my end goal is to install Server2019 on to the SSD (SATA connected) and have the old array (SAS) as my data volume. However to do this I have read that I need to create a new RAID0 volume in the array for the single SSD and to make it the primary boot device. Since I can't get in the ACU or SSA I'm really stuck.

I'm really hoping someone can help me with this as I've wasted many hours today just watching the server boot over and over.

If you need more information, please let me know.

Thank you all in advance.

This server doesn't have the embedded Inteligent Provisiong, so pressing F5 will not lunch anything.   The current versions of SSA will work in UEFI mode only, and to create a bootable USB stick, you just copy the contents of the SSA image to the key.  Since this system is BIOS based and not UEFI you will need to use one of the older versions of the offline ACU or  SSA  I'd suggest version 3.30 or v3.25

Link to v3.30 https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_e91ff24526b84cf2a502b27b41#tab3

use the USB key utilty embedded in the ISO

Since the B120i is SATA chipset software based RAID (the RAID function is controlled by a special driver) there really isn't a whole lot to be gained by using it.  Many users just set the controller to AHCI mode and use the RAID function built into the OS so they don't have to track an additional driver update.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
AftabAhmad
Occasional Visitor

Hi Jimmy, 

I will get it a go, just wondered how the previous server manager did it because the volume is live with a working version of Windows 2008 R2 on it 4x 1TB in RAID5. Strange why the B120i would prompt for F5 for the ACU if it can't load it.

So don't copy files for UEFI, just use the USB tool for BIOS? Is there a way to set the BIOS to UEFI? 

If that fails I'll definitely try the Server software based RAID utility.

Also any idea on why I can't flash the BIOS? Again the USB just doesn't want to boot, another reason why I wanted to get the SSA to work.

Thank you, I'll update the case with more info.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro
Solution

@AftabAhmad wrote:

Hi Jimmy, 

I will get it a go, just wondered how the previous server manager did it because the volume is live with a working version of Windows 2008 R2 on it 4x 1TB in RAID5. Strange why the B120i would prompt for F5 for the ACU if it can't load it.

While the B120i does support RAID 5 in specific instances, I don't think the ML10 V2, has the required interface to add the cache module to support RAID 5.  Are you positive the drives are connected to the B120i and there isn't an optional Smart Array installed?  It is also possible the drives were configured on another server Smart Array that supports RAID 5 and moved into the ML10 v2

If this is a live server, please make sure you have a valid data backup before you start working with SSA or making any changes to the system

So don't copy files for UEFI, just use the USB tool for BIOS? Is there a way to set the BIOS to UEFI? 

From the SSA versions I mentioned, just run the included USBKEY utility and allow it to create the bootable USB key  This server generation was BIOS based and not UEFI based. The latest versions of SSA used with Gen9 and Gen 10 servers only work on UEFI based systems. Creation of the USB key is different for these models

Also any idea on why I can't flash the BIOS? Again the USB just doesn't want to boot, another reason why I wanted to get the SSA to work.

You can flash the System ROM from within the running Winodws OS, latest ROM update is here https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_42b8c8f85ec941cdb0e77229ff

Please refer to the bottom of page 4 of the server quickspec as it confirms my above comment on RAID level support

Storage Controller HPE Dynamic Smart Array B120i Controller
NOTE: Supports up to 6.0Gb/s SATA. (SATA port 0/1 support 6Gb/s and SATA port 2/3 support 3Gb/s)
NOTE: Supports RAID 0/1/10 only. No FBWC support. For FBWC, a standup Smart Array Controller card
must be configured.
NOTE: For set up instructions, please refer to the HPE ProLiant ML10 v2 series server user guide. https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=c04567801

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Harsh_b
HPE Pro

Hello  AftabAhmed

Please ensure that B120i is enabled from System bios and refer to below article for B120i accessibility issue in ML10 v2 servers

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c05396557

Regards

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
AftabAhmad
Occasional Visitor

Just to update you guys, everything that has been suggested did not work, absolutely nothing worked. I was left with two options. I spoke to the previous installed who said he had to burn the SSA on to a CD for it to work. Unfortunately as tech has moved on the server itslef didn't have a writer and I didn't have access to one that day when I needed it.

So in the end, luckily I have access to a WDS server, I added the Server 2019 wim to it and I was able to PXE boot in to WinPE and kick off the install directly on the SSD (while in SATA mode as you suggested) then once it was complete I was able to run . the new 2019 server and complete the install and use the RAID function built in to 2019 to set up the data volume.

Thank you for all of your help and suggestions, hopefully next time I won't have these issues but I'm glad I did as I've learned a lot from it.

Jonny5_is_aiive

Hi Aftab,

Similar to you, spent a day or two on this, trying combinations of SATA config, pressing F5 with B210i enabled, trying SSA Boot USB, trying Rufus and others and just creating boot usb from Command prompt, same thing, it attempts to boot from USB for a nano-second showing that it sees the USB is there but skips over it. It can boot from USB because it can boot from my Windows 10 installer.

Read your last post and went "ah huh". Went and found a laptop that still has a CD drive, then remembered several years ago I threw out my hundreds of blank optical media because who would ever need them ever again?!?!? **bleep**!

The weird thing is, I set this up initially myself some 5 years ago or so with Windows 10 and I don't remember how or what method but then about 1 year ago I went through this same process when I changed Drive C: for a SSD and made drive my HDDs in a RAID 0 and I went through this for many hours or days. 

I do not remember downloading SSA or creating a bootable CD but otherwise also can not remember how I accessed the ACU. But now I have removed the SSD and want to go back to HDDs. When I went into F9 it looks like I had previously selected Enable SATA AHCI Support instead of the B120i and I enabled RAID 0 somehow that way. It was not in Windows I am sure, and if I boot a Windows 10 USB this way it tells me the Drive is not enabled in BIOS. Note it says Drive with the  capacity of the previous array configuration, but only when I select SATA AHCI Support, not Smart Array B120i......

So unless I find another blank CD, I am trying to remember how I enterred into ACU with SATA AHCI Support which I think I must have done before and without bootable media. I think.