5768 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Cannot create partition - ML350 G5

Mindaugas
Advisor

Cannot create partition - ML350 G5

Hello,
I have a strange problem with ML350 G5 server which is equipped with E200i array controller and 5 SAS drives (2x36GB - system Win2K3 Sp2, 3x146GB). I can create an array from these 146GB drives and logical drive (RAID1 or RAID5). I can initialize it in Windows, but I can not create a partition on it. When I try to create a partition after some time I get an error: "Request time out, operation could not complete". Size of logical drive does not matter - the same problem with 20GB or 200GB.
All these drives were replaced - the same problem.
Motherboard was replaced - the same problem.
ADU does not show any error, except after creating RAID5 logical drive there is "Background parity initilazation in progress ..." information message which stays for days.
One more thing, I tried to copy a file from this server to USB flash drive, file copied successfuly, but when I open it on other computer there was not a file. I tried other USB drive - the same thinb. I cannot format an USB drive too.
What do you think about this problem?

5 REPLIES 5
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Request time out. Did you wait for the array to finish building completely. Did you install the latest firmware and drivers? Did you install the correct RAID drivers from F6 on windows startup.
Mindaugas
Advisor

Windows is already installed on those two 36GB SAS drives (RAID1). The latest firmware and support pack was applied.
Mindaugas
Advisor

And yes I wait for the array to finish building completely. Except that "Background parity initialization in progress .." message after RAID5 logical drive is created which is not appear after RAID1 logical drive creation.
SMR
Valued Contributor

The parity initialization message is normal on a RAID 5/6. It will go away once there is user data on the drives. Can you generate an ADU report and attach it here? Maybe we can spot something there.
Mindaugas
Advisor

ADU report