HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot format 2nd harddrive

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Cannot format 2nd harddrive

Doing a first time installation using SmartStart 4.9. The smartstart runs and finds both HD's, it then installs the windows 2000 server OS on the first HD. Then Windows 2000 server is loaded and I log in. I then goto Disk Management, and it displays 2 HD's, Disk 0 and Disk 1. Disk 0 contains the system boot partion, EISA partition, and a unallocated partion, I format this unallocated partion and it gives no problems. Then I try to format the 2nd HD and the computer hangs. Help
5 REPLIES
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Cannot format 2nd harddrive

We get exactly the same problem, and have done this on two machines now - haven't found out why yet - if/when we do I'll post another reply!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Alster I found a fix for the problem of formating the 2nd harddrive on win2k. I found it on Compaq's support site, under the Customer advisory section. The number is EM001017_CW01. The title is 'Windows 2000 Hangs when formating second harddrive. The direct link is this: www.compaq.com/support/techpubs/customer_advisories/EM001017_CW01_0.html
You dont need to install the exe, just follow the workaround directions
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Thanks - we found it too a few minutes ago !! Do you know if you are supposed to start the service again - we have strange "hanging" problems (not just on formatting) and wondered whether this causes these problems?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

alster, are you still having problems even after using the compaq fix? If not, how did you solve it?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

djtruj - we re-formatted the second disk and all appears to be working fine now, what had happened was that after the failure the first time, someone did a "fast format" on the second drive which appeared to work but that seemed to case our running problems with SQL since the database was installed to the second drive

We reinstalled Win 2000 (just to be safe), reformatted the disk the way that is mentioned in the document and its been running since Friday with no problems (so far!)