Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot install WTS

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Cannot install WTS

Using SmartStart 5.1 and manual install :
- I cannot install WTS (NT4 TSE) on the server. Using F6 during the boot phase( or not) does not change the problem. The only drivers accepted by the system are
- Compaq Integrated Smart Array/42xx/43x or
- Compaq Drive Array for Windows NT 4.0
With both of them, the install terminates with no hard disks detected.

- Installing NT4 is ok. Then upgrading from NT4 to WTS ends up with a blue screen on the first reboot : INACCESIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

Any help appreciated.
3 REPLIES
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Cannot install WTS

This took me 2 days to figure out.

Create a set of boo table DC install disks by browsing to the i386 folder and typing winnt /ox. (this is the missing part) If you use the standard boot disks it will not work.
1. Start over. Use your Smart Start Disk to do a system erase on your server.
2. Rebut and go through the Start Smart Process for a manual install. The Smart Start will still go through and set-up your RAID con fig.
3. When you get to the part about making support disks, choose to make the disks. You want to pick these two things Compaq Fast Ether net and Gigabit Nibs and Compaq Server Support for Microsoft Windows NT 4.0. Each will create 5 disks. (I only had to use disk 2 of each set)
4. Finish SmartStart and reboot with disk1 of your NT CD Install disks. It will go through just like a normal install.
5. When you get to the point of NT wanting to discover mass storage devices, let it auto discover your CD. Then at the next prompt hit S then install disk 2 of Compaq Server Support for Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 pick Integrated Smart Array/42xx/43x out of the list and continue on through setup.
6. Setup will get to a point were it will want to install files from the CD to the hard disk. You will get the error about to many cylinders on your hard disk, etc. Just ignore it and pass through.
7. You will then get the message about setting up partitions and look SmartStart created a partition for you. Choose to install to that partition and be on your merry way.
8. That second set of disks will come in when you are installing NT. You will be glad you have gotten this far I was. When it wants to search for NIC cards dont click start search, or it will find and install the Intel NIC drivers, and all of us know what kind of nasty blue screens those cause. Click have disk and pop in disk 2 of Compaq Fast Ethernet and Gigabit NICs. Pick your NIC (mine only had one choice) and you are done with all of the custom stuff. The rest is typical NT install

Hope this works for you
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

That first line should be bootable CD install disks. That Spell checker is goofy
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Thanks for all the details.
I found another solution installing from the CDROM in manual mode. I booted from CD, pressed F6 during WTS startup and then choose ALL of the drivers from the floppy (1 of 2, support drivers for NT4). Choosing only Compaq Array driver was not sufficient.
Also spent almost 2 days ...