4774 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Cannot install win2000 server

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Cannot install win2000 server

Hi,
I have Proliant 1500 with ROM firmware E12 (August 17, 1998)Spec 256 MB RAM, dual-proc Pentium 166 Mhz, Smart-2P Array Rev A, 4.48, SCSI drive 4.3 GB on slot 0, 4 hardrive with 9.1 GB, want to install the OS on 4.3 GB, and the other 4 hardrive with RAID 5.

After using SMART start CD, I got the problem when setup win2000 phase.
If using F6 command, ask for the Compaq SCSI driver, and try to use cp002223.exe from Compaq driver support, it will have line bla bla problem. But if I don't use F6 command, Win 2000 will stop and get this message "hardware malfunction, the system has halted"

Any idea how to solve the problem. Check the forum, ask to downgrade the firmware for Smart card to ver 2.64, but cannot downgrade.

Thanks for your help.
Mukhtar
8 REPLIES 8
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Hi, try with less than 1 gig of memory for now and when successful you can still add the rest of the memory. Which smart start cd version are you using?; since you must 1st configure than run the ACU in order to proceed with the OS installation. (f6 and masse storage process is fine). Hope this will help.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Hi, my memory is just 256 MB only, Smart start cd version is 5.0. I use SCU with the assisted configuration and manual configuration, it doesn't help. And Also I use F6 command when starting windows 2000 cd, it asked for driver, only cp002223.exe has the file called txtsetup.oem files, the rest of support files don't have. So how it works? Now from forum site, solution is downgrade the firmware for Smart 2P Array my current rev A 4.48 to 2.64. How to do that?
Claude Boileau
Valued Contributor

Hi, for your array controller (2p) will need the 2nd disk of the ntssd sp 14437. Although for nt 4 it will work for 2k when using the ??????f6?????? option key. You will find it at the following url:
http://www.compaq.com/support/files/server/us/download/9257.html The OEM driver you need is called cpqarray.sys and the selection option need to be Compaq drive array for widows.
Craig Gill
Occasional Advisor

We have the same spec proliant server getting the same errors when trying to upgrade to win 2k, we ahve tried a different smart array card - original was a 2p now we have tried a 2dh - still getting the same errors, downloaded the softpaq that was suggested 14437 - when we choose 'f6' to add the drivers we get the error about line 75......
are there anymore fixes out there that we can try ?
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

The cpqarray.sys driver cannot be specified by pressing F6 and is not required since Windows already has the driver included for this.

When is this "hardware malfunction" error coming up? Are there any other items installed in the pci/eisa slots besides the 2/P?

The firmware for the controller can be downgraded, but is no recommended, especially to this old a revision. You can do this by opening config.sys and adding a "/x" to the end of the shell line. Again this may be dangerous to do this to the controller, especially to that old of a firmware rev (2.64).

Have you tried pulling the controller out and doing an install at least up to the point where this error would normally come up? This should give an idea whether the controller or controller config is the cause.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Craig Gill
Occasional Advisor

the hardware malfunction error was coming up when windows was trying to start the install. any i managed to get around this by using the smart start cd, installing windows NT again and then when NT was operational i ran a clean install of win 2k - this worked fine

thanks for the info my take note for next time
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

When you're doing your upgrade to Windows 2000 (wasn't aware you were doing an upgrade) is the "primer" utility being used?
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Craig Gill
Occasional Advisor

i wasnt actually doing an upgrade when getting the hardware malfunction error, i ran the compaq erase util first then ran smartstart to install. only got win2k install by doing the upgrade