1753523 Members
8493 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Cannot load WIN2K Pro on DL320

David N_1

Cannot load WIN2K Pro on DL320

I give up!!

I HAVE to load WIndows 2000 Professional(non-server) on two new DL320 servers. They came with the ATA-100 IDE raid controller and I have one 36gb drive installed. SmartStart will not allow me to install Win2K Pro. It's not an option on the list of OS's and it tells me to put in the Win2K Server or the Win2003 server CD. When I try to boot from the WIN2K CD it tells me that it can't find a hard drive. If I hit F6 after the CD boots(to load drivers) it allows me to choose drivers to load. I have downloaded and extracted the ATA-100 IDE Raid driver and put it on a floppy. I can choose this driver and it seems to work ok. Then after all the files load from the CD, it tells me to insert the Win NT or Win 95/98 CD. I have tried it with a Win98 CD but the CD-ROM drive just stops working at this point. The light does not even blink on the drive. It's like the ATA-100 driver is making the cd-rom cease to function. HELP! I have to get this thing working.

Thank you for any help!!!

David
4 REPLIES 4
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Re: Cannot load WIN2K Pro on DL320

Hello David,
Please go in system settings by hitting either F9 or F10 depending upon the Model of DL320 you have. Just make sure that the boot controller order is set properly. Just a word of caution....W2K Pro is not supported on our Servers.

Regards,
David N_1

I can boot to a Win2K CD just fine. The problem is that it will not recognize the hard drive unless I load the ATA-100 IDE Raid controller driver. When I do that, the CD-ROM ceases to function.
John_602
Advisor

Have you tried to use setup discs for W2K pro instead of the CD?
Are the CD ROM and HD on the same controller?
Try putting them on seperate controllers.
David N_1

No I did not try the discs John. The CD-Rom and HD are on separate controllers.

I finally just gave up on it and installed Win2000 server. This is just going to be sort of a transaction processing machine so we really didn't need "Server" software on it. Since Win2K Pro is "Not Supported" I just told my boss we had to get Win2K-Server. :) So it's up and running now. Thanks guys.