cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot remove harddrive from Proliant 800 Smart Array 221

Nate_20
Occasional Visitor

Cannot remove harddrive from Proliant 800 Smart Array 221

I remove the harddrive and I consistantly get an error that the drive is missing and must be restored to do anything with the array -- like add new harddrive. What gives? No, I don't have the Smart Start CD, but I have lots of other Compaq app's that are happy NOT to do it.
4 REPLIES 4
Janine Bertolo
Honored Contributor

Re: Cannot remove harddrive from Proliant 800 Smart Array 221

Hi Nate;

If your hard drive was part of a configured array on the 221 controller, you cannot remove a drive without reconfiguring the array, even if it was an online spare that was not in use.

You'll need the Array Configuration Utility to make the change, either from SmartStart or from the operating system.

Depending on your current configuration, you may not be able to remove the drive without destroying the array and rebuilding.

Hope that helps,

Janine
To get results you've never had before, try something you've never tried before.
Nate_20
Occasional Visitor

I'm sorry, I simply cannot believe that removing one bad physical drive from an array's logical drive means that I have to destroy all the information on the other drives. I'd rather let the logical drive continue to function with only two drives, which it does quite nicely (I just have the annoying 'drive missing' message when I reboot). What's the point of having an array? Whenever a drive fails I have to format them all?
Sigi J
Valued Contributor

you can run the system with the remaining drives, but for your controller this is (and must be) an error state, because there is no fault tolerance left.

So you have to accept the error message.
Gert Luyten
Respected Contributor

What's all this hassle? Each array configured on an Smart Array controller is self-healing, as long as you replace the bad drive with a new one.
For the moment, you might be running into huge problems. If another drive fails, you loose all data in the array.
Use ACU to check what the problem is.

Rgds, Gert - Compaq ACI
A Proliant a day keeps the competition away!