ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752655 Members
5865 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Cannot silence fans after installation of windows 2000 server on HP Proliant DL380 G3

John Burmester

Cannot silence fans after installation of windows 2000 server on HP Proliant DL380 G3

Cannot silence fans after installation of windows 2000 server on HP Proliant DL380 G3.

Have installed all patches driver updates etc... but cannot get fans to silence.

Please help as of top ugency.

I await a quick response and help as I have been trying for months to solve this problem.

Thank you.
5 REPLIES 5
John Marinov
Frequent Advisor

Re: Cannot silence fans after installation of windows 2000 server on HP Proliant DL380 G3

Install the Insight Agents for your operating system from the SmartStart CD. See other posts in this thread relating to CPQHEALTH driver.

What's going on is that the drivers which monitor the system temperatures (and then control the fan speeds) aren't loaded. So the fans have to run flat out.
John Burmester

Still have same problem.

Please can anybody help.

I await a quick response and help as I have been trying for months to solve this problem.

Thank you.
Lars Floden
Frequent Advisor

I believe there was a firmware update not that long ago that took care of this issue. Have you loaded the latest system BIOS on it?
Colin_29
Trusted Contributor

I spoke with HP some time ago and discovered that the fans my server, which are a lot noisier than previous Proliant models, were in fact running at their slower speed.
We proved this but placing a piece of card behind the fans to deflect the air and allow the CPU to warm up. Low and behold the fan speed increased to a very noisey level.
I'm still not very happy with the level of noise but as HP say they are designed for use within a computer room and people should not work in computer rooms!!
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Mosey over to intel.com and start reading some of the data sheets for the processors. To cool a hotter processor means moving more air which means louder fans.