New Discussion

Cannot update Firmware of SATA SSDs (VK000240GWSRQ) from HPG2 to HPG4

SOLVED
Go to solution
hunter86_bg
Frequent Advisor

Cannot update Firmware of SATA SSDs (VK000240GWSRQ) from HPG2 to HPG4

Hello All,

this is my first post, but not my first visit of the forum.

I have a ML350p Gen8 that has 2 SATA SSDs connected to the Smart Array P420i Controller (v. 8.32, 1GB cache module) in a RAID1 volume. They have HPG2 firmware and there is a newer one -> HPG4.

I tried installing from Linux and from a custom SPP , but in both cases the upgrade is deffered , but never implemented on reboot.

I even powered off the system, booted without the disks and then again with the disks, but the firmware is not scheduled for an update.

Any ideas ?

16 REPLIES 16
hunter86_bg
Frequent Advisor

Re: Cannot update Firmware of SATA SSDs (VK000240GWSRQ) from HPG2 to HPG4

Trying to flash with 1 version older doesn't help at all.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Did you use this file with SPP in offline mode?

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/swd/detail?swItemId=MTX_6a092758e70442158af8936d8a

firmware-hdd-db687966b4-HPG4-1.1.x86_64.rpm

Previous version is in SPP 2020.09 by default.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
hunter86_bg
Frequent Advisor

I've created a custom SPP from 2017.04.0 with exactly that rpm. It did a deferred update , but it is never triggered.

Must the disks use the raid controller cache in order to be flashed ?
hunter86_bg
Frequent Advisor

Here is the array details:

=> ctrl slot=0 array c show

Smart Array P420i in Slot 0 (Embedded)
Array: C
Interface Type: Solid State SATA
Unused Space: 4 MB (0.00%)
Used Space: 447.07 GB (100.00%)
Array Type: Data
Smart Path: enable

Maybe I should disable smartpath?
hunter86_bg
Frequent Advisor

I just tried with smartpath disabled and controller cache enabled, but it didn't work from OS , despite it exited normally (with the message like 'You need to reboot so the new firmware takes action.')

As those are sata SSDs, I guess I can attach them to a workstation with linux and try to do it from there ?
hunter86_bg
Frequent Advisor

I 've just tested to flash the firmware using direct sata connection and it didn't work.

Here were the steps I took:

1. Use ssacli to split the mirror (action=splitwithbackup)

2. Powered off the server

3. Unplugged the drive from the chassis and put it on top the DVD

4. Detached the DVD and connected both power and data cables to the SSD

5. Booted with the custom SPP

6. Selected all drives with "Immediate" action

It showed that everything was OK, but sadly after a power on it's still on HPG2. In the end, I have 'array X splitmirror action=remirror'  to recover the RAID1. 

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

You should have the complete data backup before hard disk firmware update.
Follow the customer advisory for more clarifications.

Advisory: HPE Solid State Drives - FIRMWARE UPGRADE REQUIRED For Certain HPE SATA 6G PM883 Solid State Drives to Avoid Performance Drop and Data Integrity Risk
https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-a00069703en_us

* RECOMMENDED * Online HDD/SSD Flash Component for Linux (x64) - VK000240GWSRQ, VK000480GWSRR, VK000960GWSRT, VK001920GWSRU and VK003840GWSRV Drives

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/swd/detail?swItemId=MTX_6a092758e70442158af8936d8a

Follow the Installation Instructions.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

hunter86_bg
Frequent Advisor

Hi SanjeevGoyal,

the problem is that both online and offline updates are not possible.
You can check my experience to try to update the firmware in the previous posts.
It seems that the P420i Controller is not the issue, as I replaced the DVD with one of the drives and tried to flash via the custom SPP (derived from 2017.04.0).

In the end nothing helped and so far I have never had such case with HPE hardware.
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

Hope you have followed the Installation Instructions provided on the portal.  Just make sure you havent missed it.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/swd/detail?swItemId=MTX_a6e673e4121147328a8b660f7e

To update firmware from Linux operating system on target server:

Updating firmware by installing the rpm:

• Install the firmware rpm using the command:  rpm -ivh <rpm_filename>.  This extracts the contents of the rpm to the '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu' location.
  • The CP<nnnnnn>.scexe script is located in the 'scexe-compat' folder. The actual name of the 'firmware-hdd-<xxxxxxxxxx>-*' folder is based on the version of the rpm installed in the first step above.  
  • To install firmware, you can execute ONE of the following commands:
    • ./CP<nnnnnn>.scexe in the '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/scexe-compat' location (OR)
    • ./setup in the '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/firmware-hdd-<xxxxxxxxxx>-*' location
  • The results of the firmware upgrade are saved to the Component.log file, located in the /var/cpq/ directory.
  • To uninstall the rpm, run the command: rpm -e <rpm_package_name>, which is the rpm filename without the '.rpm' extension.

Updating firmware without installing the rpm:

• Extract the contents of the rpm using the command: rpm2cpio <rpm_filename>.rpm | cpio -id.  This extracts the contents of the rpm to 'usr' folder in the current directory.
  • Navigate to the 'usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/firmware-hdd-<xxxxxxxxxx>-*' location and run ./setup to update the firmware. The actual name of the 'firmware-hdd-<xxxxxxxxxx>-*' folder is based on the version of the rpm installed in the step above.
  • The results of the firmware upgrade are saved to the Component.log file, located in the /var/cpq/ directory.

Additional Information:

Installing the firmware rpm package (rpm -ivh) does not update the firmware.  It merely extracts the rpm content to the local system. Updating the firmware on the local system requires following the above outlined steps.

To use Smart Update Manager from the Service Pack for ProLiant:

Offline:

• Place the Service Pack for ProLiant on a USB key using the USB Key Utility for Windows.
  • Place the desired firmware to be updated in the directory, /packages on the USB key.
  • Boot from the newly created Service Pack for Proliant USB key.
  • Follow Smart Update Manager steps to complete firmware update.

Online:

• Login as root. (You must be root in order to apply the ROM update.)
  • Place the desired firmware to be updated in the directory, /packages.
  • Run launch_sum.sh script which is found in the root of the ISO.

Follow the instructions on the screen.

Thank You!
https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/home

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo