HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Card placement in a DL 580?

John McNulty_2
Frequent Advisor

Card placement in a DL 580?

Hi,

We've been shipped two pairs of DL580's that differ in the way the cards have been placed. i.e.

Slot Technology Width 1st Pair 2nd Pair
1 N/A
2 N/A
3 N/A
4 PCI Express x8
5 PCI Express x8
6 PCI Express x8
7 PCI Express x8 Fibre Network
8 PCI Express x4 Fibre Network
9 PCI Express x4 Network Fibre
10 PCI Express x4 Network Fibre
11 PCI Express x4

The Fibre cards are HP StorageWorks FC1142SR 4Gb PCIe Host Bus Adapter (AE311A) which are PCIe x4 cards. Those are the cards that are going to be shovelling the most IO so does it matter that they are not in the x8 slots? I know the cards are only x4, but will it make any difference if I relocate them to the x8 slots? One of these is probably more optimal than the other.

Any advise/wisdom/comments would be appreciated?

Thanks,

John
3 REPLIES
TTr
Honored Contributor

Re: Card placement in a DL 580?

If I read correctly the quickspecs http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12770_div/12770_div.html (assuming they are G5s) they have 3 i/o buses, 41h or 42h for slots 1,2,3, 12h for slots 4,5,6 and 24h for slots 7-11. I wish there would be more details about the internal i/o structure of the server. I would have gotten the optional PCI bridge and get the 1,2,3 slots as well for some more i/o at the bus level. In any case you should consider moving the FC cards in the x8 slots 4-6 and network cards in the 7-11 slots. Slot number 7 is kind of misleading, it is an x8 slot, yet it in not on the same bus as the other x8 slots. Are you expecting to install any other cards on these servers?
John McNulty_2
Frequent Advisor

Hi. These systems are definitely configured the same as the first (top) of the three Expansion Slot tables. We popped the lid off and confirmed that slots 1-3 are empty.

How about splitting them evenly across both buses? e.g.

slot 5, x8, bus 12h, FC card
slot 6, x8, bus 12h, NIC card
slot 7, x8, bus 24h, FC card
slot 8, x4, bus 24h, NIC card

And no we're not expecting to have to fit any more cards.

Thanks,

John
TTr
Honored Contributor

> How about splitting them evenly across both buses...

That would my prefered setup as well.