cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catastrophic DL360 G2 NIC failures

Derek_31
Valued Contributor

Catastrophic DL360 G2 NIC failures

All, and I mean all, of our DL360 G2 servers have experienced catastrophic NIC failures over the last 1.5 years. The sympotms are loss of link, and Windows no longer recognizing that the built-in NICs exist, or are unable to identify them.

Through the life of this problem HP has swapped out every motherboard once, and we are now on round two.

It appears to get worse when the environment is warmer.

Has anyone else had this problem? We haven't had a DL380 G3 or DL360 G3 fail this way.
4 REPLIES
Ole Thomsen_1
Trusted Contributor

Re: Catastrophic DL360 G2 NIC failures

We only have two G2's, but both periodically stops sending packets. In network management/statistics i can see that it's still receiving.

A reset of the interface cures the problem for a couple of hours, a reboot for some days or weeks.

Ole
Jeff Bruderly_1
Occasional Visitor

Hi Dereck,

I'm having the same problem. I have 3 of the DL360s. I had to replace the system board in one at the begining of January and I just had one go down this morning. Looks like they have a defective design somewhere.
Olivier Drouin
Trusted Contributor

Normally it is a bad batch. But if you are on round 2 of changing everything then I'd worry.

Personnaly I had a bad batch of power supplies on dl360 G1. We changed every single one of them. Only one time though...

I do have dl360 G2 in a somewht hot server room
( 23+ celsius ) and I did not have your problem.
Derek_31
Valued Contributor

I talked to HP today and they confirmed a design flaw across all DL360 G2 systemboards. The engineering team has now put a heat sink on a couple of chips and says all of their spare parts now have the updated design.

I'm going to have HP replace every DL360 G2 motherboard in the shop with the redesigned systemboard.

At least I know I'm not going crazy..