5753 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: CentOS 6.3 and 5 unable to install in HP ProLiant _DL380 G8

prajith_linuz
Occasional Visitor

CentOS 6.3 and 5 unable to install in HP ProLiant _DL380 G8

Hi,

I have a new DL380 Gen5  Server with 2.3TB raid5 array(5 x 600GB HDD)

When we are installing CentOS 6.3 or centos 5 on it, in the middle of the installation it shows an error.

"Your boot partition is on a disk using GPT partitioning scheme but this machine cannot boot using GPT"

Can someone help me in this matter or if anyone encountered this problem and found a resolution can you please tell me how to solve this

4 REPLIES 4
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

If the drive is less than 2TB its MBR, if more than 2TB its GPT partition.

By this error, its saying that it cannot install on GPT partition, you may have to make a partition which is less than 2TB and try.

CentOS may not be able to install on GPT partition, do refer to CentOS documentation for more information.

Refer to these threads from CentOS:

https://www.centos.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29628

https://www.centos.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17334

Thank You!
I am a HP employee

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

prajith_linuz
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for your update, can you please guide me how to disable raid array? so that I can linux on normal HDD  instead of HP raid array.

Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

As I know, we cannot disable RAID and use hard drives as normal hdd, just like in Desktops.

But what you can try is this:
1. Out of total storage, make a partition which is less than 2TB for OS and the rest for DATA.

2. Out of 5 hard drives, make two logical drives, first two hdd as Raid 1 and remaining 3 hdd as Raid 5.

You may try all these combinations by going into Intelligent Provisioning at POST.

Good Luck!

Thank You!
I am a HP employee.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

if this is a Dl380p Gen8 you cannot disable the Smart Array controller. Use Intelligent Provisioning to run the Array Configuration Utility.

You have a couple of options. Put two drives into RAID 1 for the OS, and the other 3 drives into a RAID 5 for Data, each only having one logical drive in the array.

Keep it like it is currently with all 5 drives in a RAID 5 array and make multiple logical drives, a smaller one for the OS, and a larger one for your data. The OS will see each logical drive as a seperate hard drive.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!