ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752794 Members
5664 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Change 6gb speed 1TB hot swap SAS drives for 12gb speed drives on the fly?

Entec-DGC
Occasional Visitor

Change 6gb speed 1TB hot swap SAS drives for 12gb speed drives on the fly?

I want to try and improve the disk access speed of our HP DL380 G9 server. We have a RAID-5 array (Smart Array P440ar) with 4 x 1TB drives (giving 3TB total). So that I don't have to take our main production server down, I wanted to replace a 6gb speed drive with a 12gb one, let the array rebuild, then do the same for one of the other 4 drives, let it rebuild, and so on and so forth until all 4 are changed and rebuilt. Is this possible, I'm assuming whilst the 6gb's are mixed with the 12gb's, the array will only work at 6gb, however as soon as all four are changed, the array will start working at 12gb. Correct?

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
Bunsol
HPE Pro

Hi,

Even after all the drives will be replaced by 12g the array is still set to work at 6g so all the 4 drives with 12g speed will continue to work at 6g speed. This is not possible to change on the fly. You will have to backup the data and re-create the array so that the new array has drives which will work at 12g speed.

Regards,

Bunsol

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! Thumbs below!
I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@Entec-DGC wrote:

I want to try and improve the disk access speed of our HP DL380 G9 server. We have a RAID-5 array (Smart Array P440ar) with 4 x 1TB drives (giving 3TB total). So that I don't have to take our main production server down, I wanted to replace a 6gb speed drive with a 12gb one, let the array rebuild, then do the same for one of the other 4 drives, let it rebuild, and so on and so forth until all 4 are changed and rebuilt. Is this possible, I'm assuming whilst the 6gb's are mixed with the 12gb's, the array will only work at 6gb, however as soon as all four are changed, the array will start working at 12gb. Correct?

Thanks.

Once all the drives are changed and rebuilt, I would suspect the system would need a reboot before the drives worked at 12GB speeds

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!