cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Frame Size using Network Configuration Utility

hershal
Occasional Visitor

Change Frame Size using Network Configuration Utility

The version of NCU that we have on our server only allows me to set the Max Frame Size (MTU) to either 1514, 4088, or 9014. I need to have that setting be exactly 9000, is there different hp software that can do that?

I have already tried changing it in the registry which works only if you never use the NCU software again. Once you open the software it puts it back to 1514.

Currently using the latest version, 9.80.1.0.
2 REPLIES
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

Re: Change Frame Size using Network Configuration Utility

from my understanding ncu uses those settings by default, and only works in that range.
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: Change Frame Size using Network Configuration Utility

The value 1514 is probably the traditional one, and indicates that NCU includes the Ethernet MAC header to the packet length.

The traditional MTU in terms of payload size is 1500 bytes, and the Ethernet MAC header is exactly 14 bytes in length.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet#Ethernet_frame_types_and_the_EtherType_field

Based on this, I have a strong suspicion that the NCU uses the total size of the packet, rather than the more common payload size value.

In other words, if you select "9014", the payload size will probably be exactly 9000 bytes.

MK
MK