ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752302 Members
4782 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Change RAID level on ML350

Brian MCHS

Change RAID level on ML350

I have a ML350 G3 which I currently have at RAID 1 with two - 74GB drives. The drive is getting full. So I wanted to see if it was possible to add another drive and change the RAID level to 5 without have to blow away the box. Do you think I could image the server and change the raid level then drop the image back down? Thanks for any help.
2 REPLIES 2
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Brian:

If your server has a Smart Array Controller in it, you can probably add the third drive to the existing array, and migrate your logical drive to RAID 5. You can probably also just extend the size of the RAID1+0 logical drive or even add a second logical drive.

Alternatively, you can swap the drives with larger models and effectively do the same thing.

Other that that, sure you can image the server, reconfigure the drive and put the image back. I think a lot of people do it.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Matt Burgess
Frequent Advisor

When you try to add the new disk in using ACU it will give you a warning that says something like "RAID 1+0 logocal drives require an even amount of disks". It'll ask you whether you want to add the disk and automatically migrate to RAID 5.

As always, backup first, but the process is quite simple.