1753903 Members
9876 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Change Smart Aray Raid Controller

Wolfgang Baumgartner
Occasional Contributor

Change Smart Aray Raid Controller

I have a proliant ml370 g4 with a smart array raid controller 641. This controller has only one internal channel. I want to extend my raid 5 volume and for that reason i build in a second drive cage. To attach this second drive cage I need a new raid controller with two internal channels. I build in a smart array controller 6402 and attach both drive cages. The controller checks the logical drives without any problems and the operating system (windows server 2003) boots but before the windows switch to grafic mode I got a short blue screen and the server reboots. I look at the drive homepage but both controller should use the same driver. The HP support said that this should work but it does not work.
3 REPLIES 3
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi Baumgartner

let me see:
you had a 641 you removed it and now you have a 6402 controller right??

OK yes, the drivers is the same that's correct
but do you know which version you have?

do you get the same issue in safe mode?
let me know this because if you can enter in safe mode I have an idea

regards

Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Wolfgang,

Try the following:-

Install the 641 and 6402 controllers but connect the 641 to the original drives. You don't need any cables connected to the 6402.

Let windows discover the new controller and then update the driver from here.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=uk&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=1132643&prodNameId=378439&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-1dd8aa19d7d7405f9433fbd2f2

Shutdown and remove the 641 and connect the 6402 to the drives. Hopefully it should be OK now.

I hope this helps.

Brian
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Yes, what Brian posted is the way it works