1751965 Members
4543 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Changing ILO IP address without rebooting server

David_746
Advisor

Changing ILO IP address without rebooting server

Is there a way to change the IP address of an ILO without having to use the F8 option at boot up. We have a number of servers that can not be restarted but need the ILo IP address with changed or configured.
The servers are all G2/G3 and use the Integrated Ilos.

Mant Thanks
10 REPLIES 10
HGN
Honored Contributor

Hi

I'm not aware that there is an option to change it without reboot,if there is an option then when you are connected from the browser to the console to make the changes there are chance you will loose connectivity after the network changes.

I think there is no option, if there is an option please post it here and I would be interested to know.

Rgds

Gopi
Michael Williams_6
Trusted Contributor

Yes you can change the IP Address of the iLo when the server is up. Log onto the iLo itself as an administrative user and select administration --> Network.

This will reboot the iLo itself, but the server will be unnaffected.

We have done this procedure here a few times, and is perfectly safe to do so.
David_746
Advisor

The problem is that the ILo is either on a default Ip range of 10. which is different to the servers or has no IP address so you can not log onto the Ilo through a browser. The system management page will give you a link to the ILo and you can see what IP address it is trying to get to but as it is a different network obviously it fails.
Michael Williams_6
Trusted Contributor

The default iLo configuration should us DHCP, but if you've assigned an IP Address, then the simplest thing to do without interrupting the server is to get yourself a laptop, set it up on the correct IP range and plug a crossover cable into the iLo, you'll be able to change it then.
David_746
Advisor

I was hoping to avoid doing just that as we have quite a few! Thanks anyway.
Michael Williams_6
Trusted Contributor

Well if they're all plugged into a switch or something, you can take the same laptop and plug it into the network, as long as the subnet mask doesn't restrict connection, and you're not using a fancy VLAN or something, you can have multiple networks on the same switch infrastructure, just try that, you won't be able to connect to the iLo's once they're done, but you can check with another system on the correct network, saves running around your server room changing them all...
Stuart.Mclean
Occasional Contributor

I know what you are looking for, it's the old control panel aplet that used to be abailable with the Remote Insight Board Generation II. I sure with that utility was available for the ILO's. With thatyou could do exactly what you are trying to do from the Windows OS. Maybe someone from HP can explain why this utility does not work anymore with the ILO???
Luis Valencia
Valued Contributor

If you can connect to the iLO's (as Michael suggested), try the HP Lights-Out Online Configuration Utility for Windows.

It works for both RILOEII (Firmware 1.13 or later) and iLO (Firmware 1.41 or later)

Luis
David_746
Advisor

The Utility works a treat. Points assigned many thanks.