ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752304 Members
4531 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Changing Processor - will it affect OS?

Changing Processor - will it affect OS?

Hi there,

I got a BIOS locked version of Windows server 2003 SBS with my proliant ML310G4. If i change the processor from the current Pentium D to a core 2 duo, will this affect the windows licence? .Will it refuse to install if i choose to re-install at a later date? Or will it just invalidate my licence? Or will I be A OK? Also, will my warrenty be made void?

Many Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

Or will I be A OK?
your OS will be OK.

will my warrenty be made void?
no at all.

Regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!

i guess thats the difference between home user systems and business server class warrenties!

So it won't invalidate my windows licence then?
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

OS does not care if you change your Hardware it will work with the new Hardware you will add

no license will be invalidated

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!

good stuff.

just out of interest, what change would invalidate the licence? Please remember that this is a BIOS locked version. Im guessing change of motherboard??

Cheers
RaMpaNTe
Trusted Contributor

Hi, the OS will be fine and won't be affected. In the other hand, as long as you put supported optional part numbers in your server your warranty will not be voided.

Thanks
You heve a question... I have an aswer!!!
Joshua Small_2
Valued Contributor

Noone really ships a "bios locked" version of Windows.
Some OEMs will check the vendor = HP during install time, I assume that's what you're referring to, but that's about it.

As long as you stick with supported parts you can't be violating your license.

i got a rebate with my server on the cost of SBS as it was a "BIOS locked version".

I'm mainly concerned about the Windows licence. I'm guessing as long as I have the motherboard the same i'm alright as it's the same server?