1748171 Members
4765 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Changing Proliant Serial Numbers

WJamhoury

Changing Proliant Serial Numbers

Hi-

I work in a larger data center with many Proliant servers of all different models, generations, and OS's. In running reports, I have found that many machines have had system boards replaced over the years and the tech's have neglected to change the S/N to reflect that of the original board. I am looking to find a way to minimize down time while correcting these inconsistencies.

Does anyone know of a way to change the serial number on the system board (usually set in the RBSU) while the machine is online?

Could there be a way to script the update and minimize downtime during a reboot?

With the PSP updates you can process the update online and the changes take effect during a reboot. Is there a solution like this for updating a serial number?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
32 REPLIES 32
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Hello,
I am afraid it can't be done online (or at least it is not public).
Maybe there is some parameter in hpasmcli command... http://h50146.www5.hp.com/products/software/oe/linux/mainstream/support/doc/general/mgmt/ima/v810/hpasmcli.txt

let's play with it.

jan
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

There is a way to do what your asking. You'll have to open a support case for the solution.
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
WJamhoury

Jan-

Thank you. I will get into this and report back my findings.

Jimmy-

I apreciate your response. I opened up a case with Support One, but they said there is no way to do what I am asking, and the only way to change the serial number is by entering the bios during a reboot.

I have not lost hope yet though! I have a lot of machines to correct and this could cost a lot of time, effort, and documentation...

I will follow up soon!
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Sorry this is a hassle, tell support to escalate the case and contact me
WJamhoury

Thanks! I hope to be in touch shortly!
JR99
Occasional Visitor

eyestrain
Regular Visitor

Unfortunately this is also a problem for me but on Proliant 3xx and 5xx. Setsys is only for 1xx so it doesn't help me. 

Most of the servers I have are business-critical so if there's an alternative, online method (other than RBSU) that would be great.

I reached out to support but nobody seems to have a clue, I even had to tell them about setsys :( 

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

eyestrain wrote:

Unfortunately this is also a problem for me but on Proliant 3xx and 5xx. Setsys is only for 1xx so it doesn't help me. 

Most of the servers I have are business-critical so if there's an alternative, online method (other than RBSU) that would be great.

I reached out to support but nobody seems to have a clue, I even had to tell them about setsys :( 

I sent you a private message with a possible solution