5351 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Changing Video Board in a Proliant 850 R

Sven Geschke
Frequent Advisor

Changing Video Board in a Proliant 850 R

Hi

I have an Proliant 850 R which is equipped with the Dual-SCSI/VGA Feature Board (298816-001).
Will there be any problems if i replace that board with a standard pci vga board (I have an old ATI WinCharger that I want to use for that) and a SmartArray 2/P controller for the disk drives?
***ceterum censeo redmondinium esse delendam***
2 REPLIES 2
Sven Geschke
Frequent Advisor

Re-Hi :-)

Okay... Since none of you had an idea, I tried to do it myself and guess what: It doesn't work! ;-)
The strange thing is, as long as the feature board is connected, everything works and I even have a video signal from the ATI-Wincharger VGA-board (okay... there's a small problem if no disk is connected to the internal scsi-channel of the feature board), but as soon as I remove the feature board, the system won't boot at all.
I already have defined the RAID-Controller as standard boot device using the SCU, but it seems I can't remove the feature board there. Any hints are greatly appreciated! :-)

Rgds
Sven
***ceterum censeo redmondinium esse delendam***
Thilo Knoch
Frequent Advisor

Have a look into the "Maintenance and service guide":

http://h200005.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/UCR/SupportManual/TPM_298831-002_rev2_us/TPM_298831-002_rev2_us.pdf

On page 2-46 you can find a section about the function of the battery and the "172-1 Configuration Nonvolatile Memory Invalid" error if its empty.
May be it is more a part of the main board than only a VGA/SCSI card with a strange connector?