cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing boot partition

Doug Penner
Occasional Visitor

Changing boot partition

I have a Proliant ML370 G3 server with two RAID 5 arrays containing one logical drive and one partition on each array. So I have a C: and E: drive. I'm running Windows 2003 server standard. I have installed a 2-bay expansion drive cage and configured a new RAID 1 array. I want to move my C: drive to this new array so I can remove the old array to make a bigger one. I think the easiest way is to copy the partition over using Ghost. I'm not sure what I need to do after that to have the server boot from the new c: drive. Do I only need to change the boot partition within the ROM based utility or is there something in Windows I need to change also? boot.ini?
For recovery purposes, I don't want to wipe out my existing c: partition until I have successfully booted up from the new partition.
2 REPLIES
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Re: Changing boot partition

Doug,

I agree that you should not remove the original C: partition until things work 100% OK.

You could try a ghost (partition-to-partition) and copy the C: partition to the new one and accept the partition size changes proposed by ghost. You will need to modify boot.ini since the new array will be on disk 3 which equates to rdisk(2) partition(1) if you only have one partition on it.

Your boot.ini might look something like this once you have ghosted the partition across. Don't change the default= line until you know it works properly. Manually select the second boot choice from the menu within the 30 second timeout period.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS - (The original C: drive)
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003, Standard" /fastdetect (Original C: drive)
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003, Standard" /fastdetect (New one)

Be careful since applications will still point to the program files folder on C: and probably other operating system items and registry entries will do too. Windows Server 2003 may also give your new boot disk an odd drive letter so don't assume that it will be C:

There are tools which can move everything for you and tidy it up once you have established its all OK.
Example
http://www.eazsolution.com/en/download_foldermover.php

I'm sure others will have alternative proposals but this should be fairly easy to achieve for starters.

I hope this helps.

Brian

Doug Penner
Occasional Visitor

Re: Changing boot partition

Will I be able to change the new drive letter back to C:?