New Discussion юеВ

Re: Changing raid 0+1 to raid 5

ajc01

Changing raid 0+1 to raid 5

Hi,
system: proliant ML G5
4 hdd
2 logical disks in 2 raid 0+1 array's

is there any way to change this to 2 raid 5 arrays ?
thans for the reply
17 REPLIES 17
Manuel Boosch
Frequent Advisor

nearly all raid controllers support the migration feature. Load the ACU (Array Configuration Utillity - available on SmartStart). this works without reboot and without any data loss.

regards
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Verify you will have enough space to convert from RAID 0+1 to RAID 5 on the drives. Do two backups first. I have seen it crash the array converting them. You might also want to move the paging file if Windows OS is on it. You can't expand or shrink a partition with a paging file.
Ali
HPE Pro

Hi there,

system: proliant ML G5
4 hdd 2 logical disks in 2 raid 0+1 array's

is there any way to change this to 2 raid 5 arrays ?

let me clarify: for Raid 5 implementation you need minimum 3 hard drives.

4 hard drives are configured under 2 seperate logical drives with Raid 1 so migrating any of the raid 1 logical drives to Raid 5 require one more disk. But you can not merge two logical drives into one.

So options that you have.
1. delete one logical drive so that other two disks become available to expand the array or migrate it to Raid 5..however, this option may not be feasible if you have data in logical drive which you want to delete.

2. backup everything. delete the existing raid volume and recreate new raid 5 volume with 4 disks.

3. if your logical drives are configured under the same array, add an additional drive to expand the array then you should be able to migrate both the raid 1 volume to Raid 5.
refer ACU guide to understand array expansion.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00729544/c00729544.pdf

had all the 4 drives configured under 1 raid 1+0 volume, this would have been easier to migrate it to Raid 5 without adding any drive or any data Loss.

hope this helps,

thanks,
Aftab
I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Yes there's a way.

What it takes:
Depend on what you want to do, and what you have done so far, and what controller you have got.

As Manuel write. The Smart Array controllers used in modt Prolaints. Support RAID level migration. Some require a BBWC installed (E and P models).

How is it currently configured?
Beware vendors use different terms.
On the Smart Array:
Array = a number of disk's, that work together. RAID level is not defined.
Logical drive = Logical drives is createt on the Array, it it define the size of the logical disk and the RAID level.
And on the newer Smart Arrays (FW / ACU)
RAID 1+0 using 2 disk = RAID 1. But still named 1+0.

So do you have 2 Arrays holding 1 logical disk RAID 1 (1+0 / 0+1) each?
or 1 Array using all 4 disks, with 2 logical drives. And are the logical drives 2 disk RAID 1+0 (1 / 0+1) or is it 4 disk RAID 1+0 / 0+1?

If you've got 2 Arrays with 1 Lgical drive each.
You must add 1 disk to each array, and migrate it.
Once you have done so you can extend the logical drives to use all capacity.

If you have got 1 array, with 2 RAID "1" logical drives.
It might be that you may need to add 1 disk only to the array. Then migrate both Logical drives.

If you got 1 Array holding 2 RAID 1+0's.
Then you can do a RAID level migration on both logical drives. And then exten both or 1 of the logicl drives.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

gregersenj
Honored Contributor

> Aftab.. beat me 2├В┬╜ minute :)

br
/jag

Accept or Kudo

Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

The best practice is backup x 2, remove RAID 0+1 and recreate it as RAID 5, restore data.
ajc01

Hi guys,
thanks for the great replies.

right now i'm having trouble with the raid utils.. trying to get them up and running.

i guess after that, i'll add 2 drives, and add them to the arrays, migrate both arrays to raid 5 and have the best data-safety (besides raid 6).
right now 2 drives failed in the raid 1+0 array resulting in total data-loss :(
never again please ....

i'll be in touch about the progress

Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Two drives failed during the conversion. Sounds like you lost RAID integrity or you need a firmware upgrade to match the drives. If you are adding new drives, you should run firmware and upgrade all the drives to matching firmware revision. You don't want mismatched drives in RAID.
ajc01

no...sorry... did not loose the drives during conversion... This is the reasson why i want to convert them to raid 5...