5582 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Check for firmware and driver updates

ali eman
Occasional Contributor

Check for firmware and driver updates

Hi there,
I've been asked to check whether our servers require firmware or driver updates. As there are about 50 of them I was wondering what the best way to go about this is? Is there HP software that can do this - preferably something straightforward that doesn't require installing on every server!
thanks for any help,
Al
6 REPLIES 6
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: Check for firmware and driver updates

1. What type of servers are we talking about? Make/model...

2. Have you looked at Systems Insight Manager?

" http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/hpsim/index.html?jumpid=go/hpsim "

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
ali eman
Occasional Contributor

hi,
I will look at insight manager.
The servers are HP proliants mostly DL's with some ML's.
-Al
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

I am not very experienced with HP SIM but doesn't this require that you have system management homepage installed on the server?
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

For full funcationality, all the servers would at least need to have Insight Manager Agents (nothing more than just the standard drivers and agents that come with the Proliant Support Pack (PSP).

Stveen
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
ali eman
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for coming back. I have downloaded the SIM but I'm unsure how this should work. Can I install a client on my PC to remotely interrogate the servers? If so what do I need to install exactly?
Thanks for you help again,
Al
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

SIM would need to be installed on a totally separate server... typicaly something that is dedicated to doing just that (HP SIM).

As for your servers, you would only need to install the Managament Agents and the System Management Homepage (if you want to look at the servers individually).

Since these are DL's and ML's, you may already have the required management agents running. It would be a simple matter of importing the servers into the SIM console.

At the very least, you would need to update the agents. At the very most, you would need to download the latest agents for your server and OS and install them.

The bigger concern is installing and running SIM.

With only @ 50 servers in the environment, you do not need a very "beefy" machine to run SIM. If you have a powerful desktop, that might even work.... or a virtual machine if you have some type of virtualization in your environment.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE