ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753826 Members
8558 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Choosing new servers for virtualizaion.

Kusado
Frequent Advisor

Choosing new servers for virtualizaion.

I currently have an eye on DL380 g8 server.

It has an 366i quadport gigabit ethernet adapter.

Will it act as iSCSI HBA in ESXi or I'll need to use software iSCSI or by some other hardware?

2 REPLIES 2
TVVJ
HPE Pro

The HP Ethernet 1Gb 4-port 366FLR Adapter does not support iSCSI. Refer to the adaptorтАЩs QuickSpecs.

Click here to access it.

Regards,

Vijayasarathy 

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

David_Schwartzs
Honored Contributor

There's no reason you can't use the 366FLR for networking to iSCSI SANs with VMWare.

Any ethernet adapter that supports TCP/IP supports iSCSI.

The only thing that you don't get with the 366FLR that you might get with a "multifunction" adapter is iSCSI offloading - where some of the iSCSI processing is offloaded to the adapter - but iSCSI offloading only works with certain operating systems anyway.

The 366FLR does support TOE (TCP/IP Offload Engine) functions, which help to optimize TCP/IP communications which would include iSCSI.

As for software required to use iSCSI with this adapter - if you have ESXi and you're hosting recent versions of Windows server, you should already have the initiator software required with your operating system software.
Regards,
--
David Schwartzstein
IT Channel Sales Expert / Solutions Architect

Currently looking for my next opportunity - http://www.linkedin.com/in/pctechyoda

If my post solves your problem, please kindly take a moment to mark my post as a solution. Thank you.