1753451 Members
5912 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Chronic reboot problem on HP DL385P G8

LANSystems
Visitor

Chronic reboot problem on HP DL385P G8

We have a DL385P G8 that has been rebooting since September 2015.  HP has replaced most of the memory, motherboard (2X) and the power backplane.  We have updated firmware, BIOS, turned off ASR, turned on ASR. 

Originally, iLO and crash dumps were giving information that HP said was pointing to the problem.  But after changing parts and upgrading firmware, we are no longer getting crash dumps and the HP engineers are unable to gleen anything from the iLO logs.

We verified that everything is setup correctly on the server so that a crash dump should be created in the event of an OS issue.

Microsoft has looked at the server.  HP has replaced so many parts and seems to have no idea what is causing the reboot.  We have checked the UPS and cable to the server.  There is no one in the server room when it reboots.

Any ideas are welcome.  We continue to work with HP but that are not offering any real help.

We have two identical HP DL385P G8 servers and these problems are only on one.

3 REPLIES 3
XianR

Re: Chronic reboot problem on HP DL385P G8

We're experiencing the same behavior.  Did you ever resolve this?  My warranty expired two weeks ago and was wondering if you were able to download the latest ROM/BIOS update?  I'm thinking that would fix my issue.  You don't happen to have a copy of it anywhere online do you?

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

The latest BIOS version is 2016.03.07 - do you have this installed?

http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5249588&swItemId=MTX_65863e377a0640a68d85abb39c&swEnvOid=4064#tab-history

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
LANSystems
Visitor

We installed the latest BIOS but that did not resolve.  We did notice that with the BIOS upgrade the fans ramped up on a regular pattern that did not seem to be temperature related.  The HP engineer said that was known, but not an issue.

We did fix the problem.  It was environmental.  HPE did an environmental assessment and found that the computer room and rack grounding were inadequate. This is what was causing the server to go into an unresponsive, unrecoverable state without error log entries. ASR was rebooting the server. We implemented their recommendations and have not had any issues. 

The HPE engineer that conducted the assessment was exceptional. 

Feel free to contact me if you have additional questions.