108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Clone a DL385 using a mirror disk

SOLVED
Go to solution
Domenico Viggiani
Super Advisor

Clone a DL385 using a mirror disk

I know that it is not an orthodox method but I'd like to 'clone' an existing DL385 with two disks in RAID1, moving one disk of this RAID1 volume to another identical server.
After installing first system with two disks in RAID1, I tried these steps:
- configured second server controller with two disks in RAID1
- removed both disks
- put a disk from 1st server in the second one
but no success: controller complains that disks was moved and show no logical disks.

Some time ago, I made this experiment with a Dell server and it worked. Any hope now?

7 REPLIES 7
W. Brandl

Hi,
we tried this in past with several HP Server (ProLiant). The only controllers / Servers it worked like you did were two ProLiant DL360 with a SmartArray 5i. I ve posted your message, because we are very interested in finding a hint.

I think the Problem is a tag or something that is written on the disk. Only if this tag is found, the server is accepting the disk as part of the configured array.

...you├В┬┤re not alone

best regards
W.B.

Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor
Solution

you don't really have to configure second server, all configuration stored on the hard drive.
if you move between same servers it should be not a problem when drive if pulled from ID1 installed to ID1 (or ID0 to ID0).

If you move between two different servers and different controller you need to make sure registry and driver ready for other controller.
Domenico Viggiani
Super Advisor

Sure?
All configuration is really stored on the hard drive?
An approach totally different from Perc controller on Dell servers: there configuration is both on the controller and on the disks but you can force writing.

I will give a try...
Domenico Viggiani
Super Advisor

It worked!
The quickest cloning in the west!

Thank you very much and 10 points to you.
Jonas Back_2
Super Advisor

If they are Windows servers, just make sure not to have them running on the same network/domain. Could cause problems. Use sysprep to give the new server a new SID.
Domenico Viggiani
Super Advisor

They are Linux servers, all OK.

Thanks
Basil Vizgin
Honored Contributor

With latest firmware you can boot from SmartStart load ACU and simple split mirror to 2 independent array.