1753756 Members
4848 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Cloning old Proliant

ericvaningen
Occasional Contributor

Cloning old Proliant

I have an old DL580g2 server that I like to clone.
But I run into issues with Ghost, they don't support the mirrored disk (c) and frankly, this server still runs on the original firmware for the smart array controller.
Experience has taught me, that HP smart start cdтАЩs can blue screen the server when confronted with old firmwareтАЩs.
The server runs Windows 2000 Advanced server/
Anyone knows what tool lets me create a clone, that will recognize the array controller when restoring?
2 REPLIES 2
Dan Robinson_4
Regular Advisor

I use BartPE with 32bit Ghost.
This way you can add whatever drivers you want, and if you use a Windows 2003 SP1 Disc as your source, most of the older ProLiants will be supported without adding a single driver.

But if your using a Mirrored Pair of drives, why not just shut down Server A, pull 1 drive and then boot back up.
Server A will complain its missing the drive, but should boot since its a simple Mirror.
After it boots, put in a blank drive or a drive you dont need from the other machine (assuming same size)
Take the mirror, put it in Server B (while its off) by itself. Boot up and see if ACU reports a Mirror with 1 drive missing. If so, boot that server up and then just insert another blank/extra drive.

Give it a few hours and both machines should use the "good" drive to repair the array onto the blank/spare drive. Then dont forget if your dealing with Windows you need to change the Name and SID of Server B to avoid conflicts.

Its the poor man's ghost.
ericvaningen
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, It work as you said.