1752786 Members
5759 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Compaq 641 Adapter

Degradable

Compaq 641 Adapter

I have taken over the running of an Older Proliant DL320 server. It had failed when I took it over. Transpires it did not have RAID though a Compaq 641 RAID adapter does exist and I have 1 SCSI drive in it. Due to late arrival of the second drive I was going to use for the mirror I have the system temporarily running on one drive. (Needs must). The new drive is on order. How will I add the second drive to the 641 adapter logical config without losing the existing data. I would appreciate any thoughts.
6 REPLIES 6
Andrew_346
Regular Advisor

Re: Compaq 641 Adapter

I assume that you created a RAID0 for the single drive. I can't think of any other way you could get a single drive to work on a RAID controller.

Provided this is the case, you should be able to migrate the array from RAID0 to RAID1 once the second drive is added.

Press F8 during system post when you see the 641 controller initializing. Once inside the ORCA, follow the prompts to migrate the RAID0 to RAID 1.

I've never had to try this, so I can't guarantee it will work. Pull of the manuals for the 641 for further assistance.
Degradable

WOuld be great if I could find the manuals. Have been left a system that the previous IT said was Raid. Has an IDE Megaraid built in but no drives. Has one SCSI so it is attached to the 641 RAID controller. I will try to locate the manuals for it......
Degradable

Would be great if I could find the manuals. Have been left a system that the previous IT said was Raid. Has an IDE Megaraid built in but no drives. Has one SCSI so it is attached to the 641 RAID controller. I will try to locate the manuals for it......
Andrew_346
Regular Advisor

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?тМй=en&cc=us&contentType=SupportManual&docIndexId=179166&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=348488тМй=en&cc=us
Andrew_346
Regular Advisor

Configuring Smart Array Controllers:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00729544/c00729544.pdf

Look to page 17 for information on Migrating RAID levels & stripe size.

ORCA is a very intuitive console. Just follow the prompts & menus to do what you need to do.
Degradable

Andrew

I have managed to have a play with a test system I have got running. Seems that the ACU is so easy to use. All I need to do is highlight the logical drive and then select the migrate RAID settings. Dependant upon free drives on the controller is the options I have.
Thankyou for your assistance.