108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Compaq DL380 G2 Smart Array 5i problems

SOLVED
Go to solution
BloodyL

Compaq DL380 G2 Smart Array 5i problems

Hi there,
I am member of an indie film production team and have helped to build up a server rack for our video production suite.
We used reclaimed server equipment from companies who resell equipment from businesses who have gone bust and things like that so we know full well there are no warranties on our equipment.

One of our Compaq DL380 G2 servers has developed a very serious fault with the Smart Array 5i system.
It worked fine after reading through lots of the HP/Compaq websites we figured out the whole business with the SmartStart CD.

Anyhoo, all is fine for a while, then we had a powercut and ever since then the smart array 5i controller has not worked properly.

At first it booted up with an error about the controller being in a locked up state, at the time I was unaware of what that error meant and was more concerned with bringing everything back up to make sure the data was intact.
Now the server boots but doesn't even show the 5i controller initialisation during the bootup sequence.

Loading up the BIOS (I'm sorry, I'm so used to the classic PC, I can never remeber the HP/Compaq acronym) shows that the server recognises the 5i controller but does not show it as an IPL bootable device.
We have tried several different phycial drives to make sure the power trouble didn't destroy the drive.

So, I reckon the problem is the daughterboard on the server (SP#228510-001) but a few of the lads reckon it is either the backplane or the motherboard itself.

The SmartStart CD can see the 5i within the basic menu, but at maintainance level can not recognise the 5i array, the Firmware CD can see the 5i controller but says that the board does not have firmware and will not allow me to flash a new ware to it.

So, am I on the right track?

I can purchase a second hand 5i controller with the battery pack, if I do so can I run the 5i without the pack?

I'd much rather buy a new conroller from HP themselves as long as I have a solid assurance that it is indeed the controller daughterboard that has gone belly up.

Thanks to all who have read this far, rest assured, points will be awarded for replies.

Cheers all.

:)
9 REPLIES 9
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello,

For controller in a lockup state, Try reseating it.

James.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Also, Is there a Cache to the 5i ?

Try removing it & try boot up.

If issue still exists after removing the hard drives from internal backplane AND replacing the SCSI cable and backplane then you may have SCSI termination issue. SCSI terminations on these systems are provided on the system board. Replace system board.

Also, Upgrade all Firmware & BIOS.

"I can purchase a second hand 5i controller with the battery pack, if I do so can I run the 5i without the pack?" .... Yes U can if all this does not work;

However the performance will be at stake without the BBWC; RAID rebuild will be VERY SLOW wen needed.

let us know how it goes.
Regards,
James.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

you just got this?
1783- slot1 A rray controller in a look-up state due to a hardware configuration failure.

using the smartstart CD do you get that message the array Diagnostic utility?

if so...

yes the recommendation is reseated
Page 102
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01125948/c01125948.pdf

so if that does not fix the issue replace with the number you have 228510-001

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

I have a spare 5i controller which you are welcome to. I upgraded to the 5i+ a while back to get write-back cache and the old 5i with read-only cache is still working fine as I have put it back into my DL3780 G2 this evening to test it.

It has firmware 2.66 (the last issued) so it's up to date. I see you are in the U.K like me, so just post your e-mail address in a reply and I will get in touch. I don't want anything for it and hope it resolves your problem.

Regards,

Brian
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Sorry for the mistake in my earlier post. I have a DL380 G2 just like you have and the controller has been tested and is OK in my DL380 G2.

Brian

BloodyL

Thanks for your replies. :)

Sujith james: We have reseated the controller board several times and also completely taken apart and rebuilt the actual hardware of the server both to check for loose connections and to look for physical damage.
There is no removable cache to the 5i board unfortunately.

We haven't replaced the cables, backplane or motherboard.

Karlo: That is the error we got, the array diagnostics utility does not even see the 5i.

we have reseated the board many times without success.

Thanks for all your help. :)
BloodyL

Hi Brian, my email address is bloodyl(at)ntlworld(dot)com, please excuse the fudging of my address like that, I prefer not to leave my email as an active link these days. :)

That's blooming excellent that is, spot on sir!, cheers. :)
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

No Problem,

I will send you an e-mail this evening.

Regards,

Brian
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

jejeje cool

that is one of the best way to fix an issue
and meet each other

cheers
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!