ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753757 Members
4729 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Compaq Insight Manager 5.50 ( a working trusted tool indeed )

SOLVED
Go to solution
George Quist
Frequent Advisor

Compaq Insight Manager 5.50 ( a working trusted tool indeed )

I know this product has been replaced with newer renditions of "Insight Manager" ..BUT for a quick GO / NO GO of the server conditions, old reliable CIM 5.50 is great ! Is there any thought to bringing back this very simple-working interface ? Any chance updates may be in the works for things like newer device recognition-support ? How about the revison data base updates ?
3 REPLIES 3
David Claypool
Honored Contributor
Solution

After 10 years of useful life, extended to cover operating systems that didn't exist when it was created and over 5 generations of hardware, CIM 5.5 was an old dog that just wouldn't hunt no more.

Please be aware that CIM 5.5 does not have the capability of understanding ANY disk events that are generated with agents 6.4 or greater and additionally doesn't understand traps that support features introduced after the product went end-of-life like Advanced Power Management, Blade infrastructure, and more.

Have you tried HP SIM 4.2? http://www.hp.com/go/hpsim
George Quist
Frequent Advisor

Thank You David.. Yes have used the newer rendition of CIM.. BUT do find it more cumbersome to configure/use for a quick data center review..
toomas_aas
Frequent Advisor

I totally agree with George. I am still running CIM 5.50, and although it has some quirks, it mostly works.

I tried to migrate to Insight Manager 7 couple of years ago. At the time I had a Windows NT workstation, 500 MHz CPU, 384 MB RAM. IM7SP2 was a total system hog on this hardware. Even getting it installed took more than a hour and once it was installed my machine had no horsepower left to let me do any work. As if that weren't enough, IM7 mysteriously broke down every couple of weeks and needed to be re-installed (there goes another hour or two of my time).

Now I have new shiny XP workstation with 2.8 GHz CPU and 512 MB of RAM, so I decided to try System Insight Manager. Alas, it doesn't even install. Installation fails with 'Error 1603' while installing MSDE.

In conclusion, I find that having to install a web server plus SQL database server just to monitor the health of couple of servers is an unacceptable waste of resources.