ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753368 Members
4908 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Compaq Ml570 No Boot/Post

joe tomlinson

Compaq Ml570 No Boot/Post

Hi, I have a Compaq Proliant Ml570 G1 that will not power up.

All four lights are amber on the fans even on the two that aren't in use and the fan and lightbulb LEDs flash all the time.

It just stopped working suddenly with a blue screen of death, I thought it might be the motherborord.

Any suugestions before I replace the board?

Thanks, Joe
6 REPLIES 6
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

DO you see any thing at the beginning...COMPAQ..RAID..??
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Joe,

Don't forget there are 3 fans behind the disk cage. These sometimes fail over time due to the heat generated by the disks. It is however highly unlikely that all your fans have failed at the same instant.

To check these disk fans(they are hidden), press the lever on the back of the server chassis and pull the system board cage out a small distance to reveal them (This is safe as the cables have been designed to be long enough).

Also check the fan cables going to the power backplane (this module could be the source of the problem).

I've attached a few images from the service manual which should help.

Regards,

Brian

tripper91
Frequent Advisor

in most cases blue screen of death is a hardware/OS conflict. any recent hardware installed etc. you could try stripping back the pci cards one by one

good luck
joe tomlinson

Hi, thanks Brian for the attachment. Before I posted here i did have a look at the manual which said about the cables to the fans so I checked the cables and they were all fine.

Is there something on the motherboard that would be faulty that could be causing to throw up the errors. I couldn't find anything in the manual which said about the LED which has the picture of the lightbulb next to it flashing amber.
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Joe,

The amber flashing light indicates that you have a thermal problem (multiple fan failure). The service manual gives this information on page 164 (Chapter 4,Page 11).

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/UCR/SupportManual/TPM_122821-002_rev3_us/TPM_122821-002_rev3_us.pdf

Have you tried it with the redundant fans removed and only the primary fans installed?

It does look like a voltage or system board fault since fans 1,2,3,4 connectors are on the system board. I assume you checked the connectors to the fans and the cables to the system board (Items 13a and 13b on page 13 - Chapter 1, page 4 of the service manual).

There is a troubleshooting guide specifically for the ML570 G1 so if I can locate it I will forward it on.

Best of luck.

Brian
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Joe,

I did (kind of) find the ML570 G1 Troubleshooting guide. Its contents are here.
Page 1
http://www.hp-store.com/PD_01100--001.aspx
Page 2
http://www.hp-store.com/PD_01100--002.aspx

See Page 2 for the minimum configuration details. Unfortunately this doesn't have the diagrams or tables mentioned in the content but it should help.

Regards,

Brian