108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Compaq ProLiant 6400R 6/550 Xeon - Fan speed

SOLVED
Go to solution
Pim Bols

Compaq ProLiant 6400R 6/550 Xeon - Fan speed

Hello ,

First post here , let's see if anyone is kind enough to try to help me ;c)

So i have a Compaq ProLiant 6400R 6/550 Xeon system and it's too loud for me (using it at home) . When i remove some of the hotswappable fans it's not willing to boot anymore . When i let them run at 7V , they also give a fan error and the system shuts itself down .

Is there a way to 'fool' the system , or even better : a way to not let the system power itself down in this case ?

7 REPLIES 7
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Re: Compaq ProLiant 6400R 6/550 Xeon - Fan speed

Hi,

What is can suggest is install allthe fans required. Then update the BIOs and the healthdriver that is the par of proliant support pack. Fan speed is comtrolled by health management drivers.
Where as server is getting restarted check for event veiwer an iml entried for further details.

Regards,
Prashant S
Nothing is impossible
Pim Bols

is the 'health driver' put on the system config partition (F10) ?

Are you familiar with the hp site , i'm having a hard time trying to find the drivers/firmwares i need . (just upgraded bios and raid controller card to the latest version yesterday)

Smartstart 5.40 is the one i used to setup the system config util .

Where do i go from here ?

Thanks for the input :c)
Pim Bols

back , and the other 120mm runs on 7V .
The system tells me at boot time something is wrong with fan 5 , ignores it and continues boot . (this is only the case when 1 fan is faulty) . When 2 or more are faulty the system doesn't boot at all .

so now what exactly is that 'health driver' you were referring to , i'm using both gentoo and win2k3 on the machine .
Pim Bols

sorry the first 2 sentences of my previous post fell off .

"So I unsoldered all the mods and put all the fans back to normal , except that i removed 1 120mm in the back , ..."

that part was missing

Greetings and thanks for helping
Ken Henault
Honored Contributor
Solution

What OS are you running? Download and install the appropiate ProLiant Support Pack and firmware from http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/index.html, and the fan speed will be controlled by software
Ken Henault
Infrastructure Architect
HP
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Install the proliant support pack from the provided link in above port. that will contains all necessary driver updates and mangement updates for your server.

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Pim Bols

thanks will try that :c)