Compaq Proliant 1600R - Video

mrtjtulk uyi.fv

Compaq Proliant 1600R - Video

VIDEO: MATROX Millennium G550 Low-profile PCI
256 MB
RAM: 1GB
PROC: DUAL P2 450
DISK: RAID 5 CONFIG, (5) 9.1 GB DISKS

PROBLEM: I CANNOT GET THE X-WINDOWS ENVIRONMENT TO RUN UNDER DEBIAN, I FEEL THAT IT MIGHT BE AN ISSUE WITH THE MEMORY ADDRESSING OF A VIDEO CARD SO LARGE, DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY THOUGHTS?
4 REPLIES 4
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Re: Compaq Proliant 1600R - Video

Well I have one: You have inserted a non supported video card, loaded a non supported OS and wonder why it does not work?
What's next? You want to run Playstation videogames there?
mrtjtulk uyi.fv

INSTEAD OF BEING A SMART ASS, COULD YOU POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION. WHAT IS THE MAXIMUM MEMORY VIDEO CARD I CAN RUN ON THE COMPAQ, AND WHAT CHIP-SET DO YOU RECOMMEND?

I WAS RUNNING AN ATI 256 CARD AT ONE POINT, DEBIAN DIDN'T HAVE A PROBLEM. THAT CARD DIED, AND I AM WAITING FOR A NEW ONE TO COME IN, I NEED SOMETHING IN THE MEAN TIME.

OH AND BTW I DID DOWNLOAD THE DEBIAN DRIVERS FOR THE MATROX FROM THEIR SITE AND COMPILED THEM.

AT ONE POINT I HEARD THAT THE COMPAQ 1600R COULDN'T HANDLE ANT CARD OVER 4-8MB IS THAT THE CASE?
e4services
Honored Contributor

I th ink what vcespon meant was, who knows you are beyond the scope of this course, doing things beyond what the system was designed for.
I would think that is the card is accepted at post, and the system is booting and working, but then fails at some operation, only with this video card, it is not the system but either the physical card or card driver for the OS that is your problem for the operation and not any 'memory addressing' 'too large for systemboard' problem.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
e4services
Honored Contributor

I think what vcespon meant was, who knows you are beyond the scope of this course, doing things beyond what the system was designed for.
I would think that is the card is accepted at post, and the system is booting and working, but then fails at some operation, only with this video card, it is not the system but either the physical card or card driver for the OS that is your problem for the operation and not any 'memory addressing' 'too large for systemboard' problem.
Hot Swap Hard Drives