ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753490 Members
5181 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Compaq Proliant 1600r 6/400 - Server not recongizing 2nd Processor

Jeff Reininger

Compaq Proliant 1600r 6/400 - Server not recongizing 2nd Processor

I am finally getting around to using a Compaq Proliant 1600r 6/400 Server as a test Server running Windows 2000 Server. While looking thru my old equipment I found another 1600r 6/400. So I decided to pull the processor and power board out of one and make a single dual processor server. I know your thinking to yourself "Boy that sounds easy" as I did. But after upgrading the System BIOS , and System Partition to the latest version. On bootup I dont see the 2nd processor. This morning I went into the System Configuration Utility and press ed Ctrl+A for advanced mode. Went thru the configuration and enabled the APIC to Full Table then saved this. Rebooted thinking I would see the 2nd processor but no luck. Can someone help me out with this.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff
2 REPLIES 2
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Jeff,

Are you saying that you don't see the second processor during system POST? I.E, when the system goes through its self-tests after the Compaq logo, do you see both processors and cache values reported on the screen? If you don't see the second processor at this stage you have a hardware problem with the CPU or VRM possibly.

If you can see them at POST but can't see them in windows 2000 you need to change the HAL. Here is how.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;234558

I hope this helps.

Brian
Jeff Reininger

Brian,
First off I want to thank you for the response. While waiting on a response, last night I again started reading many posts about Proliant 1600's and ran across one that may help some else.

The post I read and now can find again (it was very late when I found it) said that they have saw this problem before. The post said to switch the physical order of the processors. So at this point I was willing to try anything. And behold after switching the physical order of the processors the next reboot showed both of them. And just in case you dont understand exactly what I am saying I pull processor 1 out and installed it in the processor 2 slot. Then put processor 2 in processor one's slot.

One more thing I was beginning to think I may have a defective CPU or cage. But when I installed the 2nd processor back in the original server it worked perfectly. So I was down to replacing the cage when I ran across the post.

Thanks again Brian,

Jeff