1752378 Members
6698 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Compaq Proliant 1600r

Darren_101
Occasional Advisor

Compaq Proliant 1600r

Im trying to set-up my own ftp server and im using XP as the OS and the 2 and 3 drives do not show up under My Computer. Any help would be appreciated.
6 REPLIES 6
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

What SCSI Controller You have, If array Controller Load ACU (array configuration Utility) create Array from each Drive, Create Logical Drive after from Disk manager Format and Assign Signature for it.
Who loaded O/S ? they should know if Array or Regular SCSI Controller
Find ACU http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/index.html download install (or check HP/COMPAQ system Tools)
Darren_101
Occasional Advisor

I loaded the O/S. It's an array controller.
I'll try what you suggested and then get back to you after i figure what in the heck you just said, lol.
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi Darren,

if you have an array controller, you won't see those disks showing up as individual disks. Drive C: will be the array you defined. For example if you created a RAID-5 Array using 3x 18GB disks and created a logical drive to use the maximum space, then drive C: would be 36GB in size. Windows would only see one disk. It cannot see individual disks behind an array controller. What the array controller defines as a logical drive, windows will see as a "physical" disk.

Regards,
Stephen
Darren_101
Occasional Advisor

Hello steven, i can understand that, that surrounds reasonable but only one drive shows up in size even. When i had two 18gigs and one 9gig hooked up, my first drive in there was an 18gig and thats what size it showed up as, and the other two was reconized during installation but xp couldnt be installed to them.
Darren_101
Occasional Advisor

Hello again, well of course using the smart start cd i tried it two different ways, with two 18gig hdd's i set them both up with their own arrays and only one hdd showed up, then i set them both up on the same array and they showed up combined at 36gig's. Please advise me if this is the only way?
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi Darren,

when you put both disks into a single array (RAID-0) you saw a 36GB Hard Disk- That's to be expected. If you made 2 separate arrays, what can you see in Disk Management after Windows is installed? There should be a 2nd disk visible, but not initialised nor partitioned. In fact, if you start Disk Management, you should get a wizard asking you to initialise the disk. Then you can create a partition and format it to use in Windows.

Regards,
Stephen