ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752337 Members
5674 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Compaq Proliant 1850R has power up problems after a poweroutage has occurred.

Erik van de Sande

Compaq Proliant 1850R has power up problems after a poweroutage has occurred.

On a Compaq Proliant 1850R we have power up problems after a poweroutage has occurred. The first time this problem occured was February 21st, 2004. When there is a poweroutage the server is shutdown by the UPS as how it has been configured. When the utility power has been restored the server should boot up but instead the power led on the server starts burning amber and the server does not start. The only way to get the server up and running again is power off and power on the server by using the power switch on the server.
The Domain controller which is also connected to the same UPS does not have this issue.

The following parts have been replaced in the past regarding this issue:
* Comaq UPS 3000 VA FW - 0039 (partnumber: 242705-B33) [Replaced on September 21st, 2004]
* Compaq RIB board [Replaced on October 21st, 2004]

After the RIB board was replaced it seemed that the issue was resolved until February 14th, 2005.
After poweroutage the server does not boot up, only a amber led is burning on the server.

Serverinformation:
Product : Compaq Proliant 1850R

UPS information:
UPS Model : COMPAQ UPS
Part Number : 242705-003
Revision : UPS 2700 VA FW - 0039

From my perspective the problem is on the mainboard of the server. Please advise me.
2 REPLIES 2
Marko H.
Valued Contributor

Re: Compaq Proliant 1850R has power up problems after a poweroutage has occurred.

The problem also could be that PL1850R has a mechanical button for on/off. But I am not sure about this. If your DC also has a mechanical button then this is not the problem.

But perhaps this link can help:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=739201
Erik van de Sande

Marko H. thanks for the link. Unfortunatly we are using Windows NT 4.0 on the server. The problem stated in the link you sent is the same.

Is there in the BIOS a setting what can hold the server from booting up automatically after a powerdown?