6188 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Compaq Proliant 3000 Server

Nadeem Afzal_2
Occasional Advisor

Compaq Proliant 3000 Server

Dear Friends,

I have a server Compaq Proliant 3000 with 5 hotswapable hard drives of capacity 18.2*5 in RAID 5 environment having two logical drive letters C & D. Now I have lack of capacity so decided to add two more drives in the server of 18.2*2. anybody told me when I add these drives in the server which logical drive get the capacity of said hard drives? I want that drive letter D occupied the capacity of these drives. I will be greatful for helping me in this scenerio.

Best Regards,

Nadeem Afzal
4 REPLIES 4
e4services
Honored Contributor

Re: Compaq Proliant 3000 Server

Good day,
Logical drives do not receive the addition of the new physical disks directly, so you do not need to worry. The new disks will add to the array, which will begin rebuilding once you have added the disks. Once complete (takes a few hours) you will have the increase space added as unpartitioned space or Free Space, and will not effect your current "C" or "D" drives. Depending on the system's environment you now may be able to use the SmartRAID software to "Extend" the logical drives capacity to add the free space. Or, depending on the OS, "Extend" the logical drive to combine the new partition in the free space with you existing "D" partition.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Nadeem Afzal_2
Occasional Advisor

Good to hear you,

I have added a drive in the server after adding with RAID utility, it is appeared as a new logical drive "Logical Drvie 2" and also free space. But Dear my aim is that I want to assign this space to logical drive one and logical partition D. Can u please tell me the procedure to complete this task also tell me the URL for smartraid software download? Thanks for give me the helpful information.

youngseok
Occasional Contributor

you have to change from "basic disk" to "Dynamic Disk" on Windows OS.

if so, you can extend your D: partition.
cool
George_141
Frequent Advisor

Hi Nadeem,

At first, i would like to know about the smart array controller which is installed in the server. Because if the raid controller has a feature for extending any logical drive, then only it works. Otherwise you need to use as a seperate logical drive.

Regards,
George