5411 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Compaq Proliant 3000

Maarten van Helden
Occasional Advisor

Compaq Proliant 3000

I have a problem with a compaq proliant 3000
512 Mb, 2x 300 MHz P2, 3x9,1 en 4x4,3 Mb Wide Ultra SCSI.

My standard CD-Rom player is not recognized by the BIOS. I did the following:
1) I reconnected the CD-Rom player
2) I checked jumper settings
3) I tested IDE cable
4) I tested the machine and it still says: Device not installed

I don't want to replace the system board. Because I am not shure to have tried everything there is to try.

Any suggestions?
7 REPLIES 7
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

Have you tried to install a diferent CD-ROM. Be sure to install the drive on the same position (Cable Sellect Position) and see if the bios will detect it?
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
Maarten van Helden
Occasional Advisor

Hi John,

Thanks for the quick reply. I didn't actually try another CD-Rom but I tested the Compaq CD rom in my own PC and there it worked fine, idem with the IDE cable. Should I then still try another CD Rom on the Compac?
Maarten van Helden
Occasional Advisor

Sorry I forgot to tell that I also ckecked the IDE controller status, and used a configuration backup. A day before it worked just fine... :(
Jon Ward
Trusted Contributor

How did you test it? If you were to test it with the Server Diagnostics without a CD inserted into the CD-ROM drive, that is one possible result... (This is not self evident to most people.)
Maarten van Helden
Occasional Advisor

Yes, I see ur point but i did the test with the utils on the fixed disk so I didn't (let alone couldn't)use the CD-Rom.

No I tested the player in my own PC attached to my own IDE cable and it worked just fine

Later on I downloaded the System Config Utils from the HP site and made floppy disks en tested the machine with the floppy. This gave the same result.

I am very worried that I need to replace the motherboard.

If so, is it possible to install a secondary IDE controller and configure it to function as a primary controller or is it necessary for the IDE CD rom drive to operate on the primary controller.

In other words: do I NEED to replace the systemboard or can I use a secondary (replacable) IDE controller?

If I NEED to replace the systemboard, has anyone a clue as where to obtain one?

I'd love to hear some more!!
Jon Ward
Trusted Contributor

Although a third party EIDE controller could theoretically get the CD-ROM drive to work within an OS, it would not work with Smartstart.

The part number for the System i/o board is 306561-001 and is available from HP at http://h20141.www2.hp.com/hpparts/default.asp .
Maarten van Helden
Occasional Advisor

Hi there,

Well my problem is fixed actually. i didn't understand the error message correctly. 6617 medium not present just means just as Jon Ward suggested that there is no CD in the drive. So thanks very much Jon. After reading your reply a second time it hit me. Thanks for the help.