108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Compaq Proliant 5500 will not boot on CD

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jon_Hawkins

Compaq Proliant 5500 will not boot on CD

Hi all,

I have an old HP Compaq proliant 5500 and one of the scsi drives has failed. I have another drive that I could replace it with but it requires that I boot with the smartstart 5.40 CD so I can change the raid configuartion.

At the moment it sees the new 9.1GB drive as a stand alone drive and wont let me take it out and put it where the failed drive is. It gets to the drive check and fails.

If I leave the drives as they are (with failed drive in) it will get to that stage and give me the F1 to continue and F10 to do system utitlites thing. I don't have that installed so pressing F10 does not do a lot. Pressing F1 does not let me boot from the CD even though it is in the drive, it tries to load grub, which fails with error 25 and then I am stuck.

I don't know where to go from here. I need to get to the configuration stage so I can change it to be able to boot the Server up again but have been hitting my head against a brick wall.

any and all help would be amazing.

Thank you
7 REPLIES 7
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Jon,
You need to the same with SmartStart 5.5 from:

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/22678.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Regards.
Jon_Hawkins

Hi,

Thanks for the help unfortunately it did not work. I down loaded the zip and burnt the iso. I put this into the CD as soon as it started to power up. It did its usual checks then gave the F1 and F10 bit, either button did not boot from the CD. Is there something else I need to do to get it to boot from it?

or is there a way to flash the bios / boot order to go back to default to try and get it to work.

Thanks
Jon_Hawkins

Hi again,

I thought I would try an Ubuntu Live CD just to see if I can get it to boot onto a CD with anyting. But all I get is the Grub error (error 25) after F1 and F10 options. I had no option to boot off of the CD that I saw at all.

I am guessing the hard drive has been set as the primary boot, which is REAL bad... is there a way to change this please....

I am getting very desperate now.

/one very sad person

Thank you for any and all help
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello Jon,
Can you try another CD/DVD Drive ?

Regards.
Jon_Hawkins

I think you might be right you know. She fired up this morning.. the hard drive is very much on its way out... but I need to get hold of another CD Rom drive to be able to test it. I put an ubuntu CD in the drive when the OS had loaded and it did not see it at all.

Its funny I used the drive a the day before and it worked then it must have given up the ghost. Guess thats why I didn't think of it.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Jon,
Im wondering if u got it to work ?

Regards.
Jon_Hawkins

I have 2 new drives on order and a CD rom. The spare DVD rom I have seems to be dead as well.... that or the server is killing all drives I connect to it.

So I am going to connect the drive to my local computer to test it works then connect it to the server and see what happens. Fingers crossed early next week I should have an answer.

Thank you for your time, consideration and thought.

Jon