New Discussion юеВ

Re: Compaq Proliant 800 6/400

SOLVED
Go to solution
unix.master26
Occasional Advisor

Compaq Proliant 800 6/400

Hello Again, I have a few questions:

How can I get into the BIOS for this server?

I have installed 2 processors, they are the same speed etc, but they're not exactly the same, not the same in size and they're different numbers, does that matter?

I needed a Dual CPU config with 2 400Mhz CPU's, so must each of them be exactly the same?

The BIOS Detects both CPU's, however none of my Operating Systems will recognize both of them, only the 1 is seen in every instance, help on this matter is much appareciated

Cheers
9 REPLIES 9
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Several steps need to be done

From F10 system Partition Instead BIOS used in PL800
Find MPS Option and Verify if Enabled

Not all server support Processor Mixing with different Cache
ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/supportinformation/papers/tc010204tb.pdf
Your Processor Part Number should be 179780-001 or 313624-001

Also from Microsoft Knowledge Base you can see modification for dual CPU if none of the previous steps help.
unix.master26
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

When I press 'F10' it says:

The System Partition utilties are not installed, or something similair

For the first processor the number is:

269609-001

This is the new prcessor that i got, from which the add said it will work on all 800 Series servers.

This next CPU came with the server, but I cannot find the number similair to the one on the top, all it says that I can see is:

400/512/2.0V S1
09340749-0379

On the back of the heatsink it says:
135638-001 NNE

both these CPU are picked by the bios as 400Mhz with 512 Cache
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor
Solution

Both part numbers that you provided is only Heatshink, not actual CPU kit or Assembly.

F10 System Partition; can be installed by SCU SP19619
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/13227.html
Or from Smart Start CD
unix.master26
Occasional Advisor

ok,

Well on the first CPU is also says:

80523PY400512PE SL2U6
and

Y8450277-0316
Jose Granados_1

Download the SmartStart 5.5 from here: http://h18004.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/subscription/ssdownloads.asp
and create the SmartStart 5.5 CD so you can load the Compaq Utilities.
the CPU's should be both the same, as for the OS not seeing bot CPU, it might be that older OS's were not meant to use more than one CPU.
unix.master26
Occasional Advisor

Both CPU's are different compaq part numbers, however they are both 400Mhz 512kb cache.

I have downloaded and used smart start 5.50, and used it to configure the system.

I am using Windows 2000 Server with SP3
also

FreeBSD UNIX 5.3
Windows Server 2003

and Windows NT Server 4.0

Each one of the Operating Systems only see one processor, even though all the those OS's support more than one CPU
Todd Hayward_1
Occasional Advisor

Now that you have the F10 utilites installed, you need to get into the system configuration utiity (SCU) while in advanced mode. To do this, press F10 when you boot, and when you are at your first menu screen, press CTRL+A to enable advanced mode. Then, run the SCU. In the advanced area, there should be an entry for APIC (or something to that effect). Its at the bottom of the section that has the NMI options, and the Enable|Disable F1 prompt option. For your PII's, the APIC mode needs to be MAPPED, not Full Table, Mapped.

Set this value, press F10 to save, and follow the instructions until the server reboots.

Now, this alone will not make both processors show up in your OS. I cannot speak to the unix steps, but on windows, you need to update your machine type in the device manager. To do this, open the device manager, and under COMPUTER, you will see an entry, and you need to right-click it to update the driver.

You need to tell it to use MPS Multiprocessor PC. I have an 800, and that is what mine says.

BE SURE that you have a slipstreamed i386 folder for the version of the OS that you are running. You will be asked for the location of this folder when you update the driver. If you use the OEM folder from CD, you MUST re-apply the last service pack before you reboot. If you dont, you will bluescreen.

Give this a shot, and let us know how it goes.

- LC
unix.master26
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

I entered the compaq utilties via f10, and used the advanced mode (crtl+a) as you advise.

I found the 'APIC MODE' near the bottom of the
page.

I proceeded to select this option, however the menu only displayed the following options:

Full Table - Mapped
Full Table

Todd Hayward_1
Occasional Advisor

Full Table is what you want for the PIII. Mapped is a legacy convention that was needed for the PPro chips.

- LC