cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compaq Proliant 800 compatible with USB ver 1.1 and PCI ver 2.1

Daniel_291
Occasional Visitor

Compaq Proliant 800 compatible with USB ver 1.1 and PCI ver 2.1

Does anyone know if you can connect a Compaq Proliant 800 with a USB compliant ver 1.1 and PCI ver 2.1 card?
1 REPLY
Hugo Teerds
Advisor

Re: Compaq Proliant 800 compatible with USB ver 1.1 and PCI ver 2.1

Yes, you can. As far as the server is concerned it does not really mind where the signals on the PCI bus are coming from. The card is the hardware that translates whatever signals there are to the PCI bus signals. Then the accompanying drivers and other software translate these signals to meaningful information to your programs.

There can be issues however with timing or specifications with some chipsets. I struggled with a Sweex 4xUSB2.0PCI card for some time. It did almost everything very well, except my webcam. After some movement in the picture it invariably crashed the computer (Win 2000 server). There is a problem with the Via chipset and Win2000/XP. You can find many messages about that problem on the internet, but no solutions to date.
Change to a Sitecom 5 port USB 2.0 card with a NEC chipset immediately solved any problems and it has worked flawlessly ever since. So I suggest you play safe and go for a card with a NEC chipset.
Have fun . . . .
You can always improve!