ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752781 Members
6313 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Compaq Proliant 800 - inaccessible boot device

keivn

Compaq Proliant 800 - inaccessible boot device

Hello, I├в m trying to install windows nt 4.0 on a Compaq Proliant 800. Installing the os at the beginning is fine, once it takes my install files off the cd rom, and restarts, i get an error saying inaccessible boot device, a Microsoft blue screen. I have called Compaq, and spent over 6 hours on the phone with them with no cure in sight. I have tried every driver, and done everything that i can. Please reply if you have any advice or ideas that i can try because right now I├в ve spent way to much time on this, thank you

4 REPLIES 4
Vijay_44
Honored Contributor

Which controller are you using and are you going through a smart start assisted install?

If you don't have a smart start here is what I would recommend

- Run the erase utility
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/17918.html

- Run the scu to set up the boot controller. If you are using the embedded SCSI controller make sure you are selecting the correct port.
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/13227.html

- Boot off the NT setup floppies so that you get the F6 option to specify additional controller driver.
ThereтАЩs your problem!!! This thing is set to EVIL!
Alexander Herrmann
Occasional Contributor

Do I still need a smart start CD if I follow your recommended solution? Again my problem is, that I can't enter the system BIOS (don't know which key to press), and during boot the system is not able to detect scsi devices (is that the scsi controller or the array controller?). Then the system boots from an Windows Server 2003 CD but is not able to install, because "no harddrives found" (I've tried all drivers I found on the HP drivers page).

Appreciate your help!
Rahul Sharma
Frequent Advisor

I would say cold boot the server with a smart start cd. run system erase utility. It will ask you to reastart the system. Restart the system. You should see the compaq start screen and select english and then go by correcting time and then when it comes to a selection menu where you have to choose for os installation choose windows 2000 server and then complete by configuring the arrays and then again the system will restart and will copy some cpq files let that happen and then finally it will tell you to have the cd ready for operating system at this point put the windows 2003 cd and you should be good to go.Hope that works. May be you are getting error of no disks so i would say when the system is booting up press F9 and and choose you controller card. you should be all set.
Rahul Sharma
Frequent Advisor

I am sorry i missed,you are trying to install windows NT so in that case just choose the windows NT instead of windows 2000 and keep the cd ready for windows NT and not windows2003.
sorry