ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compaq Proliant 8500R - W2K3- Setup was unable to format the partition.

Marc Dupras
Occasional Advisor

Compaq Proliant 8500R - W2K3- Setup was unable to format the partition.

I have a Proliant 8500R. It has 2 SCSI drives. 1 in slot 0 another in slot 1. They are they same speed(15k) and size.

This morning I installed did a system wipe with a system wipe diskette. I rebooted and created a single array. With Raid 1. I then proceeded to boot of a CD to install w2k3. Everything worked fine.

Now I had two other drives that are slower... 10k and I decided that I would create a second array with these two drives. So I turn off the server and install the 2 disks. Reboot and the array is found and it says I have two logical drives. It then asks to press f1 to continue of f9 or f10 to do some config. I just wanted to continue so I pressed F1. It then braught me in the System ROM default configuration menu. Unfortunately I could simple exit out of there. I had to pick an OS. It did not have WIN2K3 so I had to settle with WIN2K. It then continued and it looked like w2k3 would load but then I got a blue screen stop error (I wish I would have jotted down the error :( ) So if I removed the two disks that I had just put in my Windows 2003 OS will no longer load. I tried a bunch of stuff and eventually everything got messed up.

I decided to start from scratch again. So I perform a system wipe and have my two original SCSI drives in slot 0 and 1. I setup the array. Boot off the CD and it copies the files needed and eventually it asks me where to install Windows. I have 1 unpartitioned spot showing. So I select that partition and select format with NTFS and install. It says it's formating but the progress bar litteraly takes 4 seconds to complete and then I get the following error.

Setup was unable to format the partition. The disk may be damaged.

Make sure the drive is switched on and properly connected to your computer. If the disk is a SCSI disk, make sure your SCSI devices are properly terminated. Consult your cmoputer manual or SCSI adapter documentation for more information.

You must select a different partition for Windows to continue press enter.

I press enter and if I select the same partition again it does the same 4 second format but then proceeds to install the OS. So it looks like I am out of the hot water but then it gets to the first rebooted required. Upon rebooting I just get a black screen. If I let it sit for a long time it says "A disk error occured."

So it seems like the format is not actually working. It formats with some messed up file system I assume which causes the system to halt upon rebooting.

--------------

So does anyone have any suggestions? Let me know if you need more info.
1 REPLY
Marc Dupras
Occasional Advisor

Re: Compaq Proliant 8500R - W2K3- Setup was unable to format the partition.

Just so everyone knows. I have checked and I have all the latest firmware and bios versions needed.

I have been informed that WIN2K3 should have the drivers needed for the controller. I can confirm to this because I did press F6 to use my own scsi drivers and it says that WIN2K3 is using newer versions. I tried using the ones I had a the diskette anyhow and I still cannot format the drive.