5471 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Compaq Proliant ML530 - Break Mirror - Retain Data

Richard Prosser_1
Occasional Contributor

Compaq Proliant ML530 - Break Mirror - Retain Data

Hi,

I have a compaq proliant ML530 with a mirror set. I have run out of space on the mirror so I would like to break the set and use the second disk to extend the partition WITHOUT losing the data from the mirror set. Is this possible.

Many thanks

Rich
2 REPLIES 2
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Re: Compaq Proliant ML530 - Break Mirror - Retain Data

Theoretically Yes, Practically not (or not easy).
If mirrored trough SW, assume it's easy, if trough HW as long you break Mirrored set System will enable Recovery mode, and newly added drive will be accepted for recovery. All Function as expand, extent, migrate will be disable till recovery mode problem solved. So you have to trick by disabling existing Logical drive and add new, create new array, create logical drive and pull it out. After re-enable back First array, power down server and restart with second Drive in. It might work it might not. Otherwise you need to add temporarily third drive migrate to RAID 5 and than pull other drive out. Same results twice more space no fault tolerant. Difference with RIAD 5 one drive fail loose all, with fist way one fail second keep data.
Richard Prosser_1
Occasional Contributor

Re: Compaq Proliant ML530 - Break Mirror - Retain Data

Thanks KOV,

Sounds just a shade too risky to me. Also I have populated all of the drive bays in my proliant so I couldn't add another drive for the RAID 5 option. I think I'll have to re-think my server layout !

Regards

Rich