HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compaq SCSI controller will not initialize when...

Theron Smith
Advisor

Compaq SCSI controller will not initialize when...

Compaq SCSI controller will not initialize when I add a pci video card. I have tried 2 different Nvidia PCI cards one old and one new. The card works but my controller card will not as soon as I remove the card the controller works fine. Any help welcomed, is there a update for the card or biosor something?
8 REPLIES
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Re: Compaq SCSI controller will not initialize when...

Hi Theron,

What model of server are you installing this in? G1, G2, G3 etc?

Older systems require that switch 1 on the maintenance switchpack is set to on (Disable onboard video) when installing a video card. Also, most Proliant server video chips are based on ATI rage versions so you may have more luck with an ATI based card.

The video card may also need to be in a primary PCI slot. Check which slots are primary, secondary etc. with the lid diagram.

Brian
Theron Smith
Advisor

The server is a proliant 3000 P2 300mhz.
I have tried with the disable display and same results. I thought about the getting an ati but figured an older nvidia would work the same. Generaly which slot are primary?
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Theron,

Slots 1 to 4 are Primary slots on this model (PCI Bus 1). Please see attached document which shows the layout.

Regards,

Brian
Mark Morgan
Regular Advisor

Hello, Theron

This is a common situation with Compaq servers. They are sensitive to hardware addresss issues.
My 3000R had an ATI 12meg PCI video card. I used SmartStart 5 to install the hardware.

Sincerely, Mark
Theron Smith
Advisor

Is there a smart start option for nvidia card? Should the controller be in slot before or after the video card?
Theron Smith
Advisor

I need to know what IO settings can the controller work at that may not conflict with the video card. There must be a setting or upgrade that will seperate those two. Can the drivers of the video card be installed from the smart setup menu?
Mark Morgan
Regular Advisor

The best way would have all the hardware in and then configure with SmartStart. As far as Nvidia drivers I am not sure.
When we set up mine we tried several cards until the ATi worked.
In SmartStart there is a way to change some card addresses.
I beleive you will just have to keep trying out and will find one.

Sincerely, Mark.
Theron Smith
Advisor

Smart Start wont start if the card is in it just hangs on loading plug n play drivers and it will go all night.