cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compaq Server Management ASIC

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Compaq Server Management ASIC

I have observed that every time I try to copy a file small or large size file over the network from any server or workstation to a particular server "Ls2test"; while copying files the server will crash and reboot it self (ASR). This only happens when a files is being copied to the server or copied from the server to another machine on the same network. At first I thought it is the nic since this only happens while data is being copied. I replaced the nics with known good nic cards and the problem has not been resolved. The type of nic card in this machine is Compaq netelligent 10/100 TX PCI UTP token ring. It has a compaq smart array 221 controller which has been upgraded to the lastest fimware (system ROM 12/31/99),Video ROM (06/18/98). BIOS P8. Machine specs: Intel pentium 111 @ 500 Mhz, Ram total 256mb. SScd ver. 4.30. Compaq management cd 4.30. Window NT 4.0 with sp6. The message in the compaq integrated management log viewer says there was a ["post error" critical error occurred prior to this power-up. ASR detected by system ROM. PCI BUS error (slot unknown, BUS 0, Device 14......Compaq server management asic).]
In the survey report it says "PCI Devices present but unable to determine physical slot bus 0" "Device 14....Compaq server management asic".
Applications installed on this server are as follows: ARCserveIT client agent for NT ver.6.61,DB2 for winnt 4.0 ver.6.1.0, GamaLink fax software for winnt ver. 3.2, IBM communication server ver. 6.02.0,Winzip 8.0 and PCanywhere ver.9.2.
At this point I am clueless as to what is causing this problem, any help or ideas I could try would be greatly appreciated.

Paul.